First runs of TPW on Still Spirits 25L Reflux

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby Choice Bro » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has had experience running a tomato paste wash through a Still Spirits / Essencia Reflux Still?
I have found the process to be extremely slow compared to a Turbo Wash - up to twice as long.
Would this be due to the wash ABV being lower in the TPW? 12% vs 18%Turbo
Currently I am getting a collection of approx 500ml / hr which is about 3 drops a second.

I am also a little confused about the temperature and cooling.
Best collection is done at 78 - 80 degrees C but to hold this temp I need to run the very cold water through the condenser at almost 1200ml / min! Normally you would be around 500-600ml / min.
Also, running at the ideal temp slows the collection down greatly and I would imagine a 12hr run is required for approx 3L hearts...

I know the issue is something to do with the still - not the TPW.
There is no way I want to go back to Turbo but I would have thought the effeciency would not have varied between the washes?

Hope someone can offer some advice :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
Choice Bro

equipment: 25L T500 Style Copper Reflux with exchangable Copper Pot Condenser and exchangable elements ;)
38L Wort Boiler, 35L Mash Tun & Copper Immersion Chiller for all grain beer.

Re: First runs of TPW on Still Spirits 25L Reflux

Postby Choice Bro » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Just some more info;

If I run the still as per User Manual for the still I get 1L per hour collection with 500ml / min flow rate BUT temp avg 87 degrees C... not ideal but manual only instructs to keep below 92 degrees..
Personally I would rather run at optimum temp of 78-80 and I assume the manual allows higher for a fast result and on the assumption you will be running it through a shit load of carbon - something I feel is not required if you do it right.

Time to upgrade the still me thinks.. :think:
Choice Bro

equipment: 25L T500 Style Copper Reflux with exchangable Copper Pot Condenser and exchangable elements ;)

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:00 pm

I have the same still and run TPWs. I pull about 220ml every 15 minutes. So close to double what you're saying.

I don't stress about exact temp, as long as its stable - the cheap shit thermometers are only so accurate. Mine has never ever been less than 79°

Sounds like maybe yr wash was a bit light on for abv% - did you test it before the run?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Choice Bro » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Cheers BackyardBrewer,

The wash had a SG 1075 and a FG of 0990 so was all good in that respect.
I ran another wash through and let it run at a steady 86 degrees which is approx what I would run a turbo on.
The output doubled and more with the 1st 2 litres avg an hour each.
I think it is just the design of the still and I am being fussy trying to get perfect results from entry level equipment.
Output was still good though and no carbon required ;)

How much do you normally yield and at what %ABV from a TPW?
I am about to stuff the column with copper wool to see if I can increase the % slightly..

Cheers
Choice Bro

Postby punchy21 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:38 pm

Choice Bro wrote:I am also a little confused about the temperature and cooling.
Best collection is done at 78 - 80 degrees C but to hold this temp I need to run the very cold water through the condenser at almost 1200ml / min! Normally you would be around 500-600ml / min.
Also, running at the ideal temp slows the collection down greatly and I would imagine a 12hr run is required for approx 3L hearts..

Have you tried splitting up your water lines? As in one to your reflux jacket and one to your product condenser and control separately... You should have better control. If your cranking up the water with the water lines in the original configuration then you will be creating to much reflux, hence your slow collection speed. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You will get a better product as well if you strip first then do your final run when you have enough. Check out this link to kiwistillers guide to better operation of a breshop CM... Its pretty comprehensive... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=11265

Cheers, Punchy
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Choice Bro » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 pm

punchy21 wrote:
Choice Bro wrote:Check out this link to kiwistillers guide to better operation of a breshop CM... Its pretty comprehensive... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=11265

Cheers, Punchy

THANK YOU!!

Great guide and can not believe I have not come across this yet!

Thank you Punchy :text-thankyoublue:
Choice Bro

Postby punchy21 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:34 pm

No probs mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: , i have used this in a "detuned" mode to strip TPW's but have since acquired a bok so am gonna attempt to sell the old essencia jobby...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Return to Beginners Questions