50L keg 10 amp in the burbs

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

50L keg 10 amp in the burbs

Postby djmurphy87 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:54 am

So how how do u set up a voltage controller I was thinking of stripping the elements outof 2 40L urn's and doing away with the thermostat if it is possible because I was reading in the complete distilled (thank to the stig for the uploads) that some home madejobcan disrupt power or somethingcrasy.I am not very electric savvy.
djmurphy87

equipment: Reflux

Re: 50L keg 10 amp in the burbs

Postby cdbrown » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:08 pm

If you aren't electric savy I'd suggest not mucking about with electricity because if you don't get it right .....

There's no problem about removing the thermostat from the element and switching it out with a voltage controller. I'm sure there's instructions on here for all the bits and bobs you need.

Just remember each element will draw 10Amps each when on full power so make sure to have these plugged into different circuits in your house to prevent tripping a circuit breaker.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Re: 50L keg 10 amp in the burbs

Postby TassieStiller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Hey djmurphy,
If you don't know much about electrickery, please don't play with it. It doesn't give out many 2nd chances. There are a few threads here with people who have made them who are sparky's. You wouldn't want to wire the element around wrong and have your whole boiler "Live".

There are other places as well who can custom make elements to the size you want. I have got one on the way that is two 1.8kW elements which I will be attaching to a PID controller (automatic temperature controlled). Many others use a potentiometer to control the voltage, but I personally prefer the automatic control once set.

Hope that helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Return to Beginners Questions