Strip run %

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Strip run %

Postby googe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Hey all, just mixed all my low wines together to get a total volume and out of 4 rum strips its dead on 40%, thought that was odd. So i did my low wines of the TPW and its the same!. Is this normal!, just seems strange it can come to dead on 40%.

Another ? while im here, save starting a new thread...regards to cuts, i know the norm is say 250ml cuts. But would it be easier for the novice to do cuts to the size of the bottle he wants to use for final product?. EG; 700ml cuts for 700ml final product. I was thinking it could save on blending in regards to us newbies and know we have at least a few 700ml bottles of good stuff.

Cheers
googe

Re: Strip run %

Postby unsub » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:41 pm

If you stripped down to 20% your final product should be around 40%. I was playing with one of the calcs on the HD site and hats what I came up with. However, I was a little sozzled at the time so I could be completely off the mark.

One of the experts please correct me if I'm wrong on this but I think the cuts are at that amount so it's easier to pick the progression of heads/hearts/tails through the run but I think that would also depend on if you were running wash or low wines. I know I wouldn't like to collect up to 16l of product in 250ml jars :? but wash produces a lower final yield than low wines so 250ml jars are probably more appropriate for that.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby googe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Thaanks mate, didnt know that about taking it down to 20% would result in that. Yeah i know the cuts are done at that amount for that reason, im talking low wines run, so thought low wines cuts would be more deifned and not as fickle as first runs. were as small cuts not as important.
googe

Strip run %

Postby wedwards » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

If you are talking about the stripping run you do to get your low wines, then all you want to do is chuck the first 200ml and then keep everything else until you get down to 20% (some people don't do the 200ml chuck out but it's either bad stuff or heads so I don't care too much for keeping it). Put it in whatever size jars/bottles you have until you run all your low wines (spirit run) and that's where your cuts are important - to ensure you get good differentiation between hearts and the other crap you won't want to drink. Unless I have completely misunderstood??
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Strip run ABV :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Large cut containers :handgestures-thumbdown:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Depends on how much abv the still itself produces, and how much of the tails end of the product you include, the furthur you go into tails, the lower the average abv will be for that batch.

The collection jar size is a recomendation for guys new to cuts. It makes it easier to pick the bad from the good. Move to bigger jars whenever you feel your ready, but it makes no difference to what size jars you store finnished stuff in.
Once you pick your heads to hearts cut, you can put a huge carboy there if you want, but you still have to know when to make the cut for tails.
Thats why its easier to start out small.
You can use 700ml bottles, I still do, no one says you have to fill them. Stubbies work well to, for the heads and tails cuts. I like to collect in matching jars/bottles, but its not easy to amass the ammount you need. Its easy with stubbies or liquer bottles.
Blending is when you make the cuts, and decide whats hot and whats not.

You can make cuts on strip runs if you notice something you don't like, say real stinky tails, you don't need to incude them in the spirit run.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks for the replys fella's, i think i was confusing with my question :-| , Thanks for the info empty.
googe

Return to Beginners Questions