still run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

still run

Postby mauler » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:03 pm

hi would like to know if im running my pot still to fast im getting approx 345ml every 13 min is this to fast
:text-offtopic: dose anyone have a basic cut for the mcrum im on the 12th bottle and its still 80% starting at 85% my wash was about 20l
thanks
mauler

equipment: reflux 50l still
4 ring gas burner
McStills pot still

Re: still run

Postby crow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:03 am

I keep going until about 15 or 20% depending on output speed, have shut it at 40+% once due to a ridiculously slow output rate
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:03 am

Hi mauler,

Was it a stripping run or a spirit run ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby mauler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 am

McStill wrote:
Was it a stripping run or a spirit run ?

it was a spirit run it took 8 hrs to get 24 bottles ran it down to 20%
mauler

4 ring gas burner
McStills pot still

Postby crow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 am

hmmm 8 hrs with a pot still, just a few questions : what sort of regulator are you running on that burner, that seems mighty slow even for a spirit run . What was your wash and had it been stripped
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby mauler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:09 pm

my wash was striped to do 25l wash (striping run) i can smack it out in 2 hrs with the burner running flat stick when i did the sprit run it was on the 2nd burner only the Regulator is 2kg/h 28 kpa i was to understand that for the sprit run it was a drip a second :violence-stickwhack: :angry-banghead: the slower the better right :))
what would be an better speed for the run my wash is mc still rum
mauler

4 ring gas burner
McStills pot still

Postby crow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:53 pm

Ok yeah well I've found that there is such a thing as to slow and at a very slow rate I had a lot of smearing (cuts being mixed together) . If you strip in 2 hrs I reckon a 4 hr spirit run would be as slow as I would deliberately go, 8 hrs just sounds painful for a pot still (cause I did have a 16 hr strip run once but it sure as fuck wasn't deliberate :laughing-rolling: ) PS oh yeah and ya couldn't make heads or tails out of it it smeared that bad and yes this was the run I shut down at 40+% :))
crow

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:02 pm

mauler wrote:my wash was striped to do 25l wash (striping run) i can smack it out in 2 hrs with the burner running flat stick when i did the sprit run it was on the 2nd burner only the Regulator is 2kg/h 28 kpa i was to understand that for the sprit run it was a drip a second :violence-stickwhack: :angry-banghead: the slower the better right :))
what would be an better speed for the run my wash is mc still rum

A drop per second is slow. Depending on your Pot still, a stream as small as you can get it before it turns to a fast drip sounds about the take off speed you want for a spirit run. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
(A different story if your refluxing)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby mauler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Depending on your Pot still, a stream as small as you can get it before it turns to a fast drip sounds about the take off speed you want for a spirit run. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

dose the angle of the liebig have to be at certain degree to get the flow right
Last edited by mauler on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mauler

4 ring gas burner
McStills pot still

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:22 pm

[/quote]
dose the angle of the liebig have to be at certain degree to get the flow right[/quote]
Not really, just below horizontal is pretty good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby mauler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:27 pm

even for stripping should i just rerun what i have collected or see if i can makeout the differents in it
mauler

4 ring gas burner
McStills pot still

Postby crow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:34 pm

No see if ya can make out the diff, I wouldn't rerun it unless its necessary
crow

Postby Kimbo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:36 pm

When I was potstillin', i religiously ditched a half a stubby of fores/heads, every run.(stripping run that is)
the rest went into my low wines collection vessel and i made my cuts on the stripping run. ;-)
As a beginner, I would suggest you make cuts on every strip run, just to tune your senses to tell the difference.
that way you will have enough practice and wont bugger up your good stuff with wrong cuts. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Not for ever, just the first batch.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Return to Beginners Questions