Removing Rubber Seals For Storage

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Removing Rubber Seals For Storage

Postby Stu » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Firstly, hi to everyone i've just joined your group and its clear to see you are all passionate about the hobby! I've just finished fermenting my first sugar wash and am waiting for it to clear, should be in the still by tomorrow.

My query is...i've read a few threads where it was stated that when storing the finished hooch the rubber seals were removed from the containers. Now as i have a few bottles from the dollar shop that all have rubber seals, is it a neccessity to remove them and why?

Cheers all
Stu

equipment: StillSpirits Reflux/Pot Still

Re: Removing Rubber Seals For Storage

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:17 pm

I think there are two methods to the madness here.

1) rubber and high ABV don't mix, the high ABV might perish the rubber and the rubber ingredients may be absorbed back into your hard earned moonshine.

2) removing the seals allow for a small amount of breathing room for your spirit, airing time will help remove any unwanted smells or undesired flavors from your spirit to some degree, of course be aware that airing over time will let more of your high ABV escape and therefore lower the % of your product.

I use bottles from Ikea, you can get 1L swingtop bottles for $1.50 with a silicon seal, they are hard to beat for the price, they also do larger mason type jars cheap all with silicon seals ... No rubber !!!

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Stu » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Hey thanks for the reply, i guess ill be looking for a different type of bottle for any prolonged storage....no rubber!

Thanks again
Stu

equipment: StillSpirits Reflux/Pot Still

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:17 pm

As far as seals go,
Rubber= Remove
Silicone=Stays
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby NotBenStiller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:43 pm

if you get big jars with rubber seals - wind several layers of teflon tape over them
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Return to Beginners Questions