My Still just Puked!

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Rum

Postby 3draws » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:19 pm

HELP, Having probs running the rum wash threw the still (ultra pure destill ) spewing out of the bloody top do I need to take out the packing ? using water pump to cool.

Cheers 3draws
3draws

equipment: Ultra pure reflux and pot still with extenion & 30lt boiler

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Try putting a good blob of butter in the wash.....
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby 3draws » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 pm

What does the butter do?
3draws

Postby crow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm

It acts as a surficant and can help with puking . rum can puke quite bad in these stills . Don't take the packing out unless you want the head fuck of trying to put it back in, Ultra pure charge $80 to do it for ya . guessing ya have it on the boiler it comes with so switch it off wait 30 seconds or so and turn it back on , its a bugger but you might have to keep doing that until ya finished. must be too many unfermentables in the wash nothing much you can do about it try the butter and if that doesn't cut it you'll have to switch it on and off to control the power . I use to sometimes have to do this, ya can hear the gurgling as it comes up the column, unplug it wait 30 secs and plug it back in, you might have to repeat this over and over until you've ran the whole wash, some washes are just a bastard like that
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:43 pm

how would a voltage controller go they are cheap [ebay ]] and simple to make
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby crow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Yep of cause I was just assuming 3D didn't have one ATM but yes this is the way to go if ya using electricity :handgestures-thumbupleft: . There are threads here on how to go about making them ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

My Still just Puked!

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 pm

If you have had anything other than nice clear spirit coming out of you still, please read the following posts.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

My Still just Puked!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:20 am

I have the same still, used to buy the expensive wash "defoamer"... Read on these here forums that a teaspoon of olive oil or veg oil world just as well.

I confirm I've never bought the wash conditioner since!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby 3draws » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 pm

croweater wrote:It acts as a surficant and can help with puking . rum can puke quite bad in these stills . Don't take the packing out unless you want the head fuck of trying to put it back in, Ultra pure charge $80 to do it for ya . guessing ya have it on the boiler it comes with so switch it off wait 30 seconds or so and turn it back on , its a bugger but you might have to keep doing that until ya finished. must be too many unfermentables in the wash nothing much you can do about it try the butter and if that doesn't cut it you'll have to switch it on and off to control the power . I use to sometimes have to do this, ya can hear the gurgling as it comes up the column, unplug it wait 30 secs and plug it back in, you might have to repeat this over and over until you've ran the whole wash, some washes are just a bastard like that

Thanks croweater it puked a couple more times with me switching on and off about 5 times, then it finale settle down with temp @ 78-78.2deg for about an-hour and I got 150ml foreshots and another 200mls and that's it no more for an-hour and half. So was there to much unfermentables? I think if there was raw sugar in the wash (my wash was straight molasses)i would of got more gold liquid.
3draws

Re: My Still just Puked!

Postby crow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:56 pm

Ah ha ok yeah straight molasses wash in a reflux still :handgestures-thumbupleft: yep would stick to the molasses sugars mixes until/unless you get a pot or plated still, completely up to you but this is likely to be an on going problem using that wash in that still (I have that still) ;-)
crow

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi butter works really well. but also as a way to settle my duplust dowm when it used to puke is i would throw a wet rag on the column to cool things down quickly. not ideal or a long term solution to the problem but can be a very effective way to stop a puke.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby bt1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Yep crow,

sounds like a tall pot is well due here.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

My Still just Puked!

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Also try to make sure it has a good ferment to start by airating/temp/yeast bomb and keep the temp up and all the rest so it does ferment out properly
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions