I give up - how do I get this f***ing thing out??!

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

I give up - how do I get this f***ing thing out??!

Postby busman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi guys,

Am trying to remove the spear from my keg. Brand non-specific, though it may have once contained a C, a U, & a B ;)

I've made sure there was no pressure inside (I can push the ball down with my thumb). I've removed the circlip, that bit was easy, now for the spear. I've watched YouTube vids and read posts on various forums as to how to do this, some say lift it up and turn it, some say push it down and turn it, some just say turn it, and in the end it should pop out as easy as a cake from a mould. Mine doesn't want to turn. And no variation nor combination of the above advice, no matter how gently nor how forcefully I pushed, pulled, prodded or tapped it, nor how much I yelled at it, has worked. Attached is a pic of the devils own keg, any advice on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Cheers

busman

busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Re: I give up - how do I get this f***ing thing out??!

Postby reknaw » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:21 pm

That is the type of keg I first got, there are the two locking lugs, it should rotate and I used two screw drivers to lift it out. They can be a pain, stick with it and you'll get it.
reknaw

Postby SBB » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Just as a matter of interest...how many sorts of keg are there that can be used for our purposes???? should we start a information section for this topic ?????
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby busman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Spud1700 wrote:That is the type of keg I first got, there are the two locking lugs, it should rotate and I used two screw drivers to lift it out. They can be a pain, stick with it and you'll get it.

Thanks Spud, I'll try the screwdrivers
busman

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:45 am

I always just give em to a mate and they come back spearless, but i did have an unsuccesful go at one one time i was in a hurry.

He said he ended up doing the same way as me, but used copius amounts of wd-40 and a large hammer to turn it.

I'd already tried the large hammer too.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby reknaw » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:24 am

I had one where I got the shits with it, grinder, cut the ferrlue off pulled the spear out then put a new ferrule on and welded back on. With patience it would have come out. Sometimes it's a case of fuck patience pass me the hammer \ grinder :lol:

That said once I cut it and pulled the spear out I regretted doing it :oops:
reknaw

Postby maheel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:51 am

i think those have a circlip in the top you need to get out 1st before they screw out

make sure you get the pressure out 1st !!!! before turning

HERE YOU GO !!! pics how to

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... opic=15482
maheel

Postby busman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks guys, will give it another go today. Thinking the WD + hammer method might be the winner, cause this thing is in tight
busman

Postby Heffers » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:08 am

If it's not turning just pull it straight up. It's hard but when you get it up far enough you'll be able to turn it, then you need to push it back down and turn it again then it will pull all the way out. It''s a shit of a thing but stick with it. It took me about three or four goes at it, had to leave it for a few hours in between or it would have got the grinder treatment aswell.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby busman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Success!! Two screwdrivers under the tabs and pried it up then turned and its free!! Going to hose it out, put some vinegar and water in and do my first cleaning run tonight

Cheers to everyone for their help :mrgreen:
busman

Postby reknaw » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Glad the screw drivers worked :)
reknaw

Postby rumby » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Just de-speared my first keg, what a frustrating job, but all these good bits of advice worked, I took me an hour to get the sir clip out, but 2mins to get the rest out (my missus was seeing my frustration and offered some kind words of encouragement (hurry up, that has been taking your all day), just kidding, she doesnt mind having a crack at this type of shit, good moral support).
One 2200 watt element arrived today & the second one is on back order should be here in 1-2weeks. This will cut my heating time in half (will probably need to run the second element off another circuit). Might get the fireplace (outdoors) burning tomorrow arvo and give it a good clean.

Might have to get rid of my old trusty old molley boiler (2400 watts, runs like it is brand new), looks good but probably not worth keeping.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby reknaw » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:29 pm

That is a good boiler, I wouldn't get rid of it....... in 6 months time you'll go "I wish I kept that boiler" ;)
reknaw

Postby jamjar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm

I am glad other people had the same problems I have been having, and for them posting their solutions, helped me a lot both educationally and the moral support of not giving up. :angry-banghead:
After just about ripping my shoulder sock it out over the last few days, I finally got it sorted, found out I had put a spur on the spear while prying out the lock clip, so I used a thin dremel cutting wheel to slide between the spear and the flange to polish it out and it slide straight out.
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby Tracker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Inanimate objects do not understand the spoken (or shouted) word. Neither do computer generated answering services e.g. Telstra
I learned this at an early age when skinning my knuckles in the middle of winter when on the tools under a stock truck of bladder filled animals.
Lesson learned, the quicker you can get in, do the job and get out - the better. Shouting and loosing your temper just keeps you in the shit (literally) for longer.
An experience that has served me well through the years :puke-huge: not going there again. :hand:

Cheers.
Tracker

Location: The bit in the middle of the bottom part about 2 hours north of the big smoke.
equipment: Pot still with thumper, doubled up liebig condensers.
2" Bok to clean up mistakes or an oversupply of heads & tails

Postby SBB » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Wise words indeed Tracker....however my temperament doesn't allow me to let the offending inanimate object get away with with its stubbornness scot free. Was it Mark Twain who said "“Let us swear while we may, for in heaven it will not be allowed”
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions