Disapointed... first TPW

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Disapointed... first TPW

Postby QLD.Andy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:47 am

I agree, its not a 24 hour yeast pack and I think thats what makes it so much better.
It doesnt stress the little yeast beast's.
Maybe we should stop calling VS a turbo yeast and call it something else, maybe a convenience yeast
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 am

Have you looked at some type of filtering system all the commercial beer is filtered to remove yeast must be a cheap system .
wynnum1

Postby maheel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 am

wynnum1 wrote:Have you looked at some type of filtering system all the commercial beer is filtered to remove yeast must be a cheap system .

yeah the yeast is a issue if you cook them in the boiler, but i also think 48hr mega turbo's stress the yeast and that creates problems in the type of ALC your making.
fusils, meths, higher (and lower) ALC's are combined in there more than a lower % ALC wash where the yeast is less stressed.

you could push it through a 1 micron filter and really clear it,
actually rack into a 50L keg put the valve back in, use compressed air to push it through a filter would be a great way to clear it....

assuming you have the compressor and a keg coupler.... it's a reasonable idea ....
maheel

Postby SBB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:37 pm

For me its an easy decision Ill stick with the TPW. I think the last 170L wash I did cost the grand sum of $38. Thats a lotta wash and booze for that price. I have no idea what 170L of turbo would cost but Id guess close to treble that if not more. As for the smell......maybe my nose is rooted, but Ive never noticed any trace of tomato smell. Since Ive built a pot still and been doing stripping runs the final product has only got better.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Bourbonpig » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:12 pm

There are huge differences in turbo yeasts, I have used a few including ss classic and essencia super6 which found to be both excellent and take around 5 days to ferment. I once used a 48hr turbo... It was rancid, just how people describe them on here and would never use a fast turbo again. Just my 2 bobs worth
Bourbonpig

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 pm

The turbo that I found the best is the Still Spirits? Triple distilled but as mentined previously it can not really be called a turbo I guess because it is only used with 6kg of sugar per 25L. The last few I did with turbos were all out with the Turbo Carbon, Triple distilled yeast and Turbo clear. I am a big advocate for if you want a real nuetral spirit you need to start with the cleanest wash to put in your still this includes using temp control during fermentation.

I was also toying with the idea of using a Turbo clear with the TPW cant see the harm. For beer you can also use gelatine in place of finnings. Has anyone tried this for a TPW or plain sugar wash?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby maheel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:22 pm

yes you can use gelatine pretty much in any wash, the turbo clear is most likely some sort of gelatine type product.
maheel

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 pm

maheel wrote:yes you can use gelatine pretty much in any wash, the turbo clear is most likely some sort of gelatine type product.

I thought this was the case but I have not seen it mentioned anywhere in regards to washes.

It has always stumped as to why the turbo clear is in two parts. Is this just a gimmick or is it actually for a chemical process? I can see it just being a gimmick so we don't just use gelatine.

Will give it a go next wash, what rate should you add the gelatine?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby R-sole » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:52 am

^kg in 23l is 15.3% abv that's turbo territory for sure

Add to the fact that as disitillers we're after hot fast ferments and it's asking for all kinds of byproducts from racing yeast.

If you think that UJJsm calls for 3.5 kg of sugar in that size ferment (9%) and my ujjjsm drums that are stable after 40 gens get 11kg in 60l (10.8%)

Wineo's sugar wash calls for 3.6kg

It's pretty common to design sugar washes around the 10% mark, 12% would be considered by many to be pushing it.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Bourbonpig » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:57 am

I've never used any clearing agent at all... From what I read the difference is....is the still used.... factory or store bought stills are only just producing the goods... I had the opportunity for an experienced still maker to build me a still a few years back... And am lucky the still has been built well. I don't understand how a still with a stack of less than .5mtr can produce a clean product... And also believe the folks purchasing these products are being misled on what they do. I do have someone I know that purchased a t500 (more than it cost me to make mine) and gets no where near the results I get out of mine. If any noobees are reading this mr still makes a good product... Save yourself and buy a good still to start with, it won't cost you that much more... And enjoy it for life without going blind
Bourbonpig

Postby maheel » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:07 am

sam_and_liv wrote:
maheel wrote:yes you can use gelatine pretty much in any wash, the turbo clear is most likely some sort of gelatine type product.

I thought this was the case but I have not seen it mentioned anywhere in regards to washes.

It has always stumped as to why the turbo clear is in two parts. Is this just a gimmick or is it actually for a chemical process? I can see it just being a gimmick so we don't just use gelatine.

Will give it a go next wash, what rate should you add the gelatine?

not sure on how much, some research on something like AHB (aussie home brew) should yield the answer to how much

the real secret to clearing IMO is making sure the wash is finished.. throw in the clearing agent to soon and your fighting the yeast.
thats why i like time , leave ti there 3 weeks or so and it should be clear assuming all is good
maheel

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions