Nardy's rum log

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Nardy's rum log

Postby SBB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:53 pm

I believe caramel is the answer...... I think if you read through Harrys GGGP rum on AD it explains how to do it.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4468
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:28 am

less oak for longer 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Nardy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Well I ended up running the 3 stripped batches through and then blending into larger containers. I put the majority of the hearts in a 5L demijohn and put one single oak stick in that to age. Then with the rest I diluted some over-oaked previous batches in another 5L demijohn and a smaller 2L port bottle. After about 2 weeks (or however long it has been) the single stick has already given off a tinge of colour. Yum yum rum.
Nardy

Postby Nardy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:08 pm

And I just put on batch 6:

6th Batch
5L dunder
3L Molasses
2kg raw sugar
2 Tbsn Tomato Paste
Topped up to 25L
Lowan's bakers yeast
Nardy

Postby Nardy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Just sampling a bottle I had put away. Heavily oaked with toasted and charred oak, cinnamon and then after realising it was too oakey, I dumped a HEAP of raisins in it.

2 weeks later and it tastes awesome now. Might try this with a larger batch next time.
Nardy

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions