rotten eggs smell

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

rotten eggs smell

Postby bundyman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Hello im new to makeing spirits but iv been makeing beer over 10 year, iv just put on a suger wash 6Kg of white suger and 21 Liters of water and used alctec 24hr yeast. TEMP was 24 wen put the yeast in and the SG 1.900 It start to bubble about 1hr after,if that it was goin ok.After about 12hrs it started to give off a rotten eggs smell iv got know idear why...its my 2nd suger wash so far..
The 1st suger wash i put on there was no smell and i sterilised both barrels and everything the same way why has the 2nd one have a rotten egg smell...bundyman
bundyman

Re: rotten eggs smell

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Cant say I've come across rotten egg smell from my wash before, but if it's still working I would just let it do it's thing :think:

Hopefully someone here can help you out.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby busman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi bundyman, and welcome to the forum.

I don't know what would be causing the smell either, but I would say just let it ferment out and see how it turns out.

What sort of still do you have?
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby QLD.Andy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:01 pm

I cant say I have ever had "rotten egg" smell, maybe thats what the 48 hour smells like
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby bundyman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:35 pm

that ever 1 i will let it keep gooin and she wot will happen the smell has goin now...

I just put aniuther 1 two day the same way the only thing i dune diffrent was i use my sterilizing compound this time not the 1 that cum with t500 and i will let u now how it gose this time..this one workin ok now smell at this point of time....tuch wood..lol

iv got t500 fir my 1st one
bundyman

Postby R-sole » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:39 am

Rotten eggs is sulphur. I believe this comes from stress to the yeast. Try a different yeast or add less sugar.

Copper packing in your still will get rid of some of it, if you have copper packing.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Beginners Questions