Can I do a TPW

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Can I do a TPW

Postby lyonsy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:12 pm

I was very interested in trying a TPW next wash but I am ofthe belief that I may be wasting my time.Having a Turbo 500 and being a reflux still it will strip all the flavours out.From what I think I understand reflux stills only give me a neutral spirit to which I then add whatever to get flavours.Therefore I really need to stick to a basic sugar wash.Is this correct,if so Im very sad. :(
lyonsy

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Can I do a TPW

Postby Kimbo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi Lyonsy,
the TPW is a great way to go for a neutral spirit,
having a T500 will work ok, you will still get a clean neutral yield to add your flavours to ;)

The Tomato paste is only there for yeast nutrients, not flavour ;)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Frank » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 pm

+1 Kimbo
Hey Lionsy
TPW is the go re an inexpensive, easy, reliable wash for a neutral. To be honest, I doubt yo'd want too much TPW taste coming though anyway (unlike a UJSM or DWWG or :think: ). Just remember it'll take a while longer than Turbos and the ferment will be a bit less final ABV%..
Frank

Postby SBB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Have to agree with the two replies above ....if you have the means of stripping it first through a pot still it gets even better. I built the one in the link below for exactly that reason some time ago....it fits straight to my T500 boiler and is an easy project for a first time builder.
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=369
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby lyonsy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks for the reply guys but I dont think that I understand yet.If a reflux still strip out the flavours what will a TPW do for me over a turbo wash.Interestingly Im a bourbon drinker and read somewhere that a UJSM recipe was good for making bourbon.What is UJSM? Can I do this with my still?.I dont think I can.I think the best I can do is make a neutral spirit and then filter soak in chips and add an essence.
lyonsy

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Kimbo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi Lyonsy,
A TPW is by far cheaper for a couple of reasons.
1)the cost of a can of bakers yeast and a jar of home brand Tom Paste is less than a sachet of turbo yeast
2) you wont need any carbon, clearing agents or other expensive crap that goes along with using turbos

I know which one I prefer ;)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:39 pm

lyonsy wrote:If a reflux still strip out the flavours what will a TPW do for me over a turbo wash..

Excellent question :mrgreen:

Try doing one of each through your still, dont carbon filter, taste separately and report back ;)

I know which one you'll like more :laughing-rolling:

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby QLD.Andy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:53 pm

Hi lyonsy.
Sorry I didnt see this sooner, I have a T500 and I have tried the TPW, I made 4 in total to try compared to the turbo's
Doing a TPW you will end up with a spirit that is cheaper to produce and you will know what is in the spirit.
I also think you will end up with (slightly) less spirit.
The spirit will have a "dry" taste to it compared to a turbo (I have proven this with other members spirits), I have settled on Vodka Star as my turbo of choice as its easy to make, furments well and cleanup is easy. It also has a slightly sweet aftertaste rather than the dry aftertaste the TPW has.
This is a very subjective game and only you can say what you and yours like best.
Try everything and you will soon find your fav and settle as I have.
Most of all, have fun and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Return to Beginners Questions