T500 still output tastes sweet and has smell

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: T500 still output tastes sweet and has smell

Postby greyghost » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Yes I do listen, and yes I am reading, but whist doing that I am also still asking questions, is that a problem for you. Your reply seemed to be a bit abrupt.
greyghost

equipment: T500

Postby R-sole » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Nothings a problem except that you are still saying you don't know what's causing it even though i told you the first time you asked, then maheel told you, then you asked again and i told you again, then sbb told you.
Then you asked again and i told you again.

That's why i'm getting a bit techy. If it all tastes the same after collecting in little jars and watering down to 40% then your taste buds are shot and you need to get someone else involved in the cut making.

But if your taste buds are that shot then you shouldn't be picking up the taste of the heads (sweet and bitey harsh) in the first place?
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby QLD.Andy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:22 pm

I dont think the problem is all about cuts.
I never used to make cuts and I never had this problem.
But, having said that, if you do make cuts that will eliminate the whole heads and tails thing - if the middle of the run still has the funny taste then there is another problem.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby R-sole » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:29 pm

QLD.Andy wrote:I dont think the problem is all about cuts.
I never used to make cuts and I never had this problem.
But, having said that, if you do make cuts that will eliminate the whole heads and tails thing - if the middle of the run still has the funny taste then there is another problem.

edit; dunno why i'm so testy today :angry-banghead:

All i know is that heads taste sweet and have a harsh bite and that's what the op is complaining about.

ToEachHisOwnPunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:28 pm

First off a quote from the link I posted by Kiwi: The first time you make cuts, and especially blends, it will probably be quite difficult to pick the often subtle but important differences in smells and tastes, and you may not be happy with the result. But do not be discouraged, this skill improves a lot with practice, and in many ways it is the most important skill of all for a stiller to develop. So be patient, and just keep practicing!

Im with 5Star on this......if its a sweet and burning taste its heads to me. To me it smells more like pineapple than almonds...well some jars do. I know that in the beginning I had trouble smelling the differences, I think your nose / taste buds become more attuned to the differences as time goes by.
The only thing I can suggest is that next time you have all your cuts in front of you in the sequence that they came from the still is that you take the first jar......the middle jar.....and the end jar. Do not smell , taste or play around with the other jars at this point. These three jars should taste and smell vastly different.....giving you some sort of reference point to work from. Start by dipping a finger in each jar then rub the alcohol hard between your fingers while smelling....to me this seems to intensify the smell...especially with tails. Dip finger again and rub a bit on your tongue or lip....does one burn more than another???? Last but not least get a teaspoon full of water put it in a small glass add a teaspoon of ALC , taste swish it around, spit it out. Im only pretty new at this myself....and I still stuff it up at times but with practice it does get easier.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby ringob20 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Guy's I accutally had this problem a few batches back and found out it was the sugar I was using. At the time I sourced some cheap car branded sugar and the washes I did with it tasted sweet and nutty changed back to dextrose and all was good again. So maybe that's what your problem is. The problems I have with the t500 is that earwigs love to get inside the bloody thing. Anyway see how you go.
Ringob20
ringob20

equipment: Turbo 500
5 star 4" 4 plate ssg Blockhead

Postby SBB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Do they add much flavor to the neutral Ringo??
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:55 pm

SBB wrote:Do they add much flavor to the neutral Ringo??

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Sugar is sugar is sugar, if it ferments properly nothing will taste sweet from the "sugars" no matter what brew shop owners will tell you :dance:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Yes but Earwigs aint made of sugar....not that I know of anyway :think: Got me thinkiing now.....a nice Wichity Grub Vodka could be the go
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby stubbydrainer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:22 am

Witchity Grub Vodka...:puke-huge:
SBB your a sick puppy at times :violence-stickwhack: :text-lol:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Jimmy1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:56 am

Witchity Grub in vodka could be like the worm in tequila, if I were you SBB I would patent the idea before someone else takes it :laughing-rolling:
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions