can you check my ring 5Star?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

can you check my ring 5Star?

Postby devotus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:27 am

I was advised by minime over at AD to stick a ss scrubber above my take off T but well below my reflux coil as a choke for the vapour to make it easier to direct the vapour down the take off.

I also read that a lot of people use reducers as chokes so I made this with the intention to stick it just above the T piece.

this ring will (in my noob mind) also help in directing reflux centrally.

The hole is about 25mm and my column ID 40mm (approx)

My questions are;

Do you think this is needed/recommended?

and

If so, can you give me tips on technique to de solder the top section of my column from my T without wrecking the other joins nearby?

I have only a propane/butane home soldering torch hand held gun type. Mapp is bullshit expensive and not in my budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Re: can you check my ring 5Star?

Postby Al Qaemist » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:49 am

I know this one was directed at 5Star, but I'm gonna chime in anyway. Mini's suggestion of a scrubber under the reflux coil is a good one, it acts as a choke, and I think as a bit of a turbulator for the vapor going up to the coil, and diffuses the reflux coming down (that's how I see it in my head anyway - reality may differ :D )

I have tried messing about with centering rings on my 2", but whenever I have placed one near the take off its not worked well at all. I now have one in the bottom third of the column that seems to let me run a little faster than without- apparently it's because the lower section of the column is less efficient and that where centering is beneficial.

By all means try it it out - but scubbies are cheap, works for me, and centering rings are good lower down - even so, for small diameter columns like these, probably unnecessary.
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby devotus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks a lot Al Qaemist, Image

Scrubbie it is. Image
devotus

+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby stubbydrainer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:52 am

I thought the title for this thread was because you had worms :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby jamjar » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Well he could be a proctologist still maker, he is into mushrooms so he is used to having his hand covered in sh*t, so I suppose checking out someones ring maybe no big deal :laughing-rolling: :text-lol:
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby R-sole » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:52 pm

I've checked your ring and it's ugly, mishapen and rather sharp. :lol:

As far as centering rings in the top of the VM's i avoid them as the only one i've ever built that had problems had a centering ring soldered just under the take off.

By all means try it, but only if you can get it in there easily and it's a friction fit.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby QLD.Andy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Stop biting your nails Devo :laughing-rolling:
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby stubbydrainer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:48 pm

5Star wrote: but only if you can get it in there easily and it's a friction fit.

Where's this going?? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

@ Andy
If I was devo , I'd be chewing wrist bones by now :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby devotus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks for checking my ring 5Star, next time warm ya hands up will ya! :o . I think I'll kick that idea into the crap tin and run with a scrubber and see how I go.

@Qld Andy, mate I'm a pathological nail biter and have been since I was a kid. It's a shithouse habit. Drives my wife nuts.
devotus

+
1.5 inch VM column

Return to Beginners Questions