The Best Still/Plans

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

The Best Still/Plans

Postby Fridge » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi there,

I've been reading a HEAP of information, and yes I did buy a SS Air Still and now I realise that this was probably not a good thing...
Anywho my brother is a boilermaker/welder and seeing some of the other designs I don't think making a reflux still would be any trouble for him.

So my question/s: Which is the best design to use and where do I get some measurements for my brother to work at?
Is it better to use a pot still or go straight to a reflux if I am just starting?
And is there a website or a guide somewhere that has complete instructions on what to do and how to use a still (preferably for the one that we can build!)

Basically if I'm gonna do this right then I'm gonna do it right ! So some instructions on the complete creation/use of a still that is gonna be awesome would be good thanks!

Thanks in advance.
Fridge

equipment: Novice

Re: The Best Still/Plans

Postby maheel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:08 pm

which still mostly is chosen by the product your trying to make

as a new comer i would suggest focusing on a good neutral, allowing you to use the product to create a few different "mixes" that could include store bought flavoring and home made flavors

i normally recommend a pot head for stripping wash and also a BOKA or a VM reflux head attached to a keg via a tri-clover & flange for neutral
it give your the best of both worlds right at the start

later you could focus on a more elaborate pot still if you start making mash or more complex washes looking for flavors

there is no "best" plan as there are a few ways to sort it out :)

1st what do you like to drink ?
maheel

Postby devotus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:10 pm

maheel posted as I was as well but I'll still add this

Keep reading,

Here is a great start; 'The compleat distiller' that will give you a good grounding, you can buy it or download it as a pdf off the net.

There are plenty of threads for designs for stills and what each still is better used for.

First decide what you wish to make, ie what's your favourite drink?

Then go to search function here and type in Making ______.

No matter what you'll need a Pot still but read more first.

The guys here will help you when you're ready.

Also Go here http://homedistiller.org/forum/

and here http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/index.php

I highly recommend that if you visit these sites that you don't immediately ask questions just read read read as they are not very tolerant to newbies.
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby Fridge » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks for the replies guys - I have definitely read up on home-distiller but haven't checked Artisan so thanks for that link!

I would like to make a neutral/vodka to begin with so I can try all the recipes on the various sites, they look awesome :)
The Boka still seems to have a great amount of info on the homedistiller wiki so that looks like the way to go for me at the moment. It looks like I need to source a keg of some sort as well, what is an optimal size for a regular Boka? Also is it best to try and run it on a gas bottle, the stove (too big for that maybe?) or electric?

I'd just like to get all the info together first so we can decide where to move from here, but it looks like the Boka style is relatively simple after we source the keg/electricity.

Thanks for the help so far!
Fridge

Postby stubbydrainer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:26 pm

If you look in " Reflux Still " section there is a link in cezed's boka build ( I forget the title :doh: )
there is enough info there to build a boka ( I built one using this info :dance: :dance: )
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Fridge » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Sorry for the double post but couldn't see an edit button.

After doing a bit more reading I think I would like to use electric heater for a beer keg of around 50L, and make a 'Triac controller' myself to control the heat better. Is a 50L beer keg too big for a novice? It seems to me they would be good for compatibility with a Boka reflux still attached.

Also, would a 50L keg take what, about a 40L wash? Would there be a minimum like 5L or something as well? I have a 30L fermenter at the moment but have access to big plastic drums with O rings on top that have stored chemicals through work - cleaning them shouldn't be an issue cause well...we have more chemicals for that stuff !
Fridge

Postby maheel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:02 pm

50L keg is fine and easyish to get. i normally run a 25 - 30L batch of TPW (tomato past wash)

strip it using a pot head getting about +-6L
run a second batch
then re-run about +- 10L of 40% stripped wash watered to say 10% to make a +-20L batch covering my electric element in the keg and from that get about 7L of good clean spirit.

you can choose to collect "more" but thats just my way of doing things as i like really clean neutral so i make my cuts accordingly and dont mind the "losses"
it changes run to run depending on a few variables
maheel

Postby Fridge » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 pm

We are currently having a hard time finding plans for a valved reflux column anywhere online - that is, the measurements and specific instructions. Any type of head will do really, but as my brother and I have no experience we would like to make sure we copy something first!

My brother also thinks that the copper will be expensive to make something like this: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page16.htm
and also quite difficult. Is there something easier than that around?
Fridge

Postby R-sole » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Look in the reflux section of the forums here and on artisan distiller. There's a least a hundred build threads there with everything you could ever want to know about how to wind a coil through to how each and every person here built their own reflux stills.

If you're brother is a boilermaker and he can't construct a still from the info on here then i don't believe plans are going to help him any.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Fridge wrote:We are currently having a hard time finding plans for a valved reflux column anywhere online - that is, the measurements and specific instructions. Any type of head will do really, but as my brother and I have no experience we would like to make sure we copy something first!

My brother also thinks that the copper will be expensive to make something like this: http://www.moonshine-still.com/page16.htm
and also quite difficult. Is there something easier than that around?

that still in the link is overcomplicated IMO

look at BOKA or VM (valved) and they are pretty easy.
the designs are all similar and often depends on how much you want to spend on fittings makes the final design.
measurements don't have to be within 1mm as there are so many different ways of doing the same thing.

you could also consider the condenser control still idea. it's very simple but is supposedly quite good (i have never made one)
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... w=previous
maheel

Postby Fridge » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:43 pm

5Star wrote:Look in the reflux section of the forums here and on artisan distiller. There's a least a hundred build threads there with everything you could ever want to know about how to wind a coil through to how each and every person here built their own reflux stills.

If you're brother is a boilermaker and he can't construct a still from the info on here then i don't believe plans are going to help him any.
I have, believe me. What may be simple for more experienced users/builders is really a steep learning curve for someone who has no experience. I guess it is harder for you guys to understand what it's like because you have experience - think of it as an Auskick team playing Geelong...

Anywho I think that it would be better at the moment for us to start out buying something rather than to build it, to get an idea of what it takes to run the still first and foremost, and then we can always alter things and attempt our own build later!

Something like this: http://www.milehidistilling.com/product ... tower.html
would be good as we could mount that on a 50L keg. Is that correct?
Also they don't ship to Australia so is there anyone in Aus/WA that makes something similar? Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it a lot.
Fridge

Postby SBB » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Fridge wrote:What may be simple for more experienced users/builders is really a steep learning curve for someone who has no experience. I guess it is harder for you guys to understand what it's like because you have experience

Its was only in June this year that I built my first still......so I remember well how confusing it all seems to begin with. Since then Ive build four.
Building your own is going to give you much more satisfaction as well as an understanding of what is happening inside that still head. Once you have some copper and a few fittings in your hand and make a start it all seems a lot easier. Maybe start with a basic pot still....thats what I did...work your way up from there.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby maheel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:25 pm

these are the plans that Bokakob made up that have been copied and changed over time btu pretty much the design is the same

on has a slant plate on the bottom of the coil the other has both plates in the coloumn

you can see how the vapour would condense on the coil and be forced to go to the output "dam" here is where you use the take off valve to adjust your take off to the desired % ALC

Boks are not FAST but they work really well allowing you to get up to 95% fairly easily, mine pulls about a liter of 93.5% and hour once heated up which i find a good rate

this link might work to the "image" the picture includes a rough usage guide
http://www.homedistiller.org/image/mini_explained.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maheel

Postby maheel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:29 pm

my changes would be to use a easy flange or a tri-clover ferrule on the bottom to attach to a keg.

i really do not like the idea of those clips holding a lid in place.... but thats me

i would make the coloumn below the bottom "plate" about 1.2 -> 1.5 (1500mm) and the coil a about 300mm long give or take
pack it full of SS scrubber (including one wrapped around the coil)
maheel

Postby devotus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:43 pm

C'mon fridge!

If I can build a still any f'n monkey can. " mtres 2-3 inch copper pipe + 1 T piece + a valve + one and a half metres of 15mm and 22mm pipe+ a few small fittings. Finished with some solder, flux, a torch and some gas. It would be childs play for a boiler maker.

The hardest thing of the lot is attaching rig to lid, but if you're using a keg then that isn't so hard.

You can do it mate, give it a crack.
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby R-sole » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:03 am

Here's one by one of the members at the top of the page down there, with all the measurements, exploded parts photo's and some other photos by others of alternatives..

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=799

When i do em for others i use a 50-40mm tee and reduce down to 3/4 just before the bend. I also use a stainless gate valve.
All the designs work though and at 2" you can expect 1-1.2l an hour in hearts. 3" runs at 4lh +.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Fridge » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:39 am

Thanks a lot for those comments and links, I've read so much stuff and I think we might as well just do it!

I think we will go with:
50L Keg boiler using 2200W element (will make a Triac controller to regulate better).
2" column 1500mm high. (or a 3"? Or are the parts too hard to source as that is the only disadvantage I have read about...)
a 300mm coil in the Boka head- too long?
I'll follow a guide to a DIY needle valve, looked pretty simple.

Then use 2" male/female connectors for the 1500 to the head (probably be 500mm or so)

I think, that I have everything sorted with measurements, the only thing I haven't found much information on is the top of the coil being connected to the cooling system.
How does that work? I think it has something to do with nipples right...I'll keep searching for pictures to get a better idea (have tried searching google for pictures of nipples but I got distracted at the other things that came up :) ).

Thanks guys!
Fridge

Postby R-sole » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:23 am

3" will allow you to run much faster making it a shorter day, but is more expensive to pack and buy parts for.

Best unions for joining are triclamp sanitary fittings.

http://www.geordi.com.au/Products19d.htm

Ask at the plumbing shop for #3's to fit the size pipe you are winding your coil out of for the water connection, then you need reducing bushes 1" to whatever it may be (1/2" is easy) to put snallock garden hose fittings on.
R-sole

Postby Fridge » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:06 pm

5Star wrote:3" will allow you to run much faster making it a shorter day, but is more expensive to pack and buy parts for.

Best unions for joining are triclamp sanitary fittings.

http://www.geordi.com.au/Products19d.htm

Ask at the plumbing shop for #3's to fit the size pipe you are winding your coil out of for the water connection, then you need reducing bushes 1" to whatever it may be (1/2" is easy) to put snallock garden hose fittings on.

Thanks for that info there 5Star, I think I'll grab a 1/2" coil of about 6m length, then connect them as suggested. I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions :)

At the moment I am going to price some parts and see if i can get a 3", if not 2" is fine!
Fridge

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Go with 3" mate, then you wont want to upgrade later (soon) when you realise how slow 2" is ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Next

Return to Beginners Questions