slow ferment with UJSM

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

slow ferment with UJSM

Postby ufo8mycow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:01 pm

I am on my second ferment with my ujsm and it is taking forever same as the first on did. In the recipe uncle Jesse says it will ferment for 4 days but my first one took 11 and I am on day 9 of the second and it is still going. I used lalvin ec-1118 which was recommended by the local home brew shop. I have it in my basement furnace room which stays at between 70 and 75. is there somthing I can do diffrent or is this just really slow yeast?
ufo8mycow

equipment: 2"x36" stainless cooling management, 2"x42" copper bokakob, and a 2" copper pot head all attatch to an 8 gallon keg

Re: slow ferment with UJSM

Postby maheel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:20 pm

1st i would warm it up a bit if you can to say 85'f or 30'c and give it a small stir to get the yeast floating aorund and see what happens

under 75 is getting cool
maheel

Postby R-sole » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:59 am

The other thing to do if you are waiting on ferments (after you get your temp issuses sorted) is to have another one going at the same time. Better to have the ferments waiting on you 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Sam. » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Also make sure you aerate the shit out of it before pitching the yeast so they have something to eat.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions