Ridding Neutral Spirit of Unwanted Smells

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Ridding Neutral Spirit of Unwanted Smells

Postby Frank » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 am

Hi, to make neutral spirit 'unwanted odour free', so far I've learnt I should cut back on the amount of dextrose used (fom 8kg to 7kg or 6kg) per 25l turbo yeast wash or, better yet, use a TPW or Bran wash instead AND air the neutral spirit for 48 hours prior to filtering AND make/use a 'proper' filter (eg Spud1700's strainless steel one) with a good amount of quality activated carbon added AND leave the finished product to settle for as long as possible. What else may help please, fellow distillers? FRANK
Frank

Re: Ridding Neutral Spirit of Unwanted Smells

Postby torry73 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi Frank
When I am doing a spirit wash I try to keep the air temp as constant as possible. I use an old fridge as an insulated fermenting cupboard with an electric indoor/outdoor thermometer, with the electrode inside the fridge you can see the temp without opening the door. I use a 25w or 40w old type light globe to heat, ran the wire thru the old gas line hole( ex keg fridge) or turn the fridge on to cool. The more constant the temp the less stress the on yeast = less off smells/flavours.
torry73

equipment: 2" DR Boka- reflux/pot combo
1.5" reflux cm
2" pot still
50 litre boiler on gas

Postby SBB » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Frank wrote: AND leave the finished product to settle for as long as possible. FRANK

Im having a lot of trouble with the part above. Its either getting drunk as fast as I make it .....or its evaporating :? :?
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Frank » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey SBB I reckon its time to lock your stuff away...who knows maybe you'll find another Autumn hobby to occupy your mind ;) ;) . Anyway....what say all distillers familiar with the output of an SS Airstill (where you get 6 distillation runs of 4 litres per 25l wash)about doing a second series of distillation runs with cuts from the accumulated 'firsts'?
Over on another (ok, I reckon) forum I've read that if you take about 1300ml per initial run that'll give you nearly 8 litres (1.3l times 6) for second series runs. Second time through the still you (might) get 1.75 litres spirit per 4 litres used @much higher %ABV. Point being the higher the %ABV, the better the neutral spirit, the less the unwanted smells (???) (and maybe extra benefit re more total product when cut down to 40%ABV)..... BTW please try to refrain from answering by telling me I need a different still (trust me I'm working on that...ask SPUD1700 :P )
Frank

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Frank wrote:Over on another (ok, I reckon) forum

You can mention and even link the other forum to here if you want mate, we have no problem with people being members elsewhere, in fact we encourage it ;)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:49 pm

SBB wrote:
Frank wrote: AND leave the finished product to settle for as long as possible. FRANK

Im having a lot of trouble with the part above. Its either getting drunk as fast as I make it .....or its evaporating :? :?
SBB

Maybe I need to refraze this :? :? ..people are drinking it as fast as I make it :lol:
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby maheel » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Frank, i thought it might be also good to water down your 1st runs and re-do them using plain water, this will also benefit the results.

be interesting to do both
1 triple distilling 1 run watered down with plain water then redistilled into higher ABV.
1 just re-distilling the 1st running to guage the quality of any higher ABV.

you still have to water it down to about 40% or it might be a bit dangerous....
maheel

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:06 pm

maheel wrote:Frank, i thought it might be also good to water down your 1st runs and re-do them using plain water, this will also benefit the results.

be interesting to do both
1 triple distilling 1 run watered down with plain water then redistilled into higher ABV.
1 just re-distilling the 1st running to guage the quality of any higher ABV.

you still have to water it down to about 40% or it might be a bit dangerous....

I really do agree with you on this maheel, my best neutrals always came from two distillations, except I do a stripping run then water back to 40% and do a nice steady reflux run.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Beginners Questions