converting a 50l keg to a boiler

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

converting a 50l keg to a boiler

Postby gremlin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:06 am

when converting a 50l keg to a boiler, is there an advantage to fitting a thermostat controller ( such as the LINCAT WATER BOILER THERMOSTAT) to stop the temperature rising to a boiling point ( ~100 C)
My current boiler bubbles furiously when distilling, but should it really when the ethanol will boil off at a much lower temperature?

Appreciate any comment from someone who has done it before or understands the subject matter better than me.

cheers
gremlin
gremlin

equipment: home made

Re: converting a 50l keg to a boiler

Postby SBB » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:10 am

The short answer is yes there would be benifits to having more control....depending on what sort of still and what you are trying to achieve at the time.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: converting a 50l keg to a boiler

Postby maheel » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:18 am

when you boil a wash it wont reach 100 until all the alc is out it might get close but unless you strip way to far you not going to see that temp.

if you feel your boil is to vigorous i would build a PSR-25 type phase angle controller, this would allow you to reduce the energy input and reduce the vigor / intensity of the boil
maheel

Return to Beginners Questions