Aquasafe Vs Citric Acid

Discuss safety issues here.

Aquasafe Vs Citric Acid

Postby RC Al » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:07 pm

So i wasnt 100% on where to post this, or if anyone has posted about this before, but it is a safety issue so...

In the process of building my pot still with Aquasafe soft solder, I have discovered that its not a fan of citric acid.
I had been doing a piece dropping it in my mix and getting back to it anywhere up to a week later, often to discover a leak :roll:

Now it may be the fact that my citric came from a chemicals shop (yes it is food grade) and not the supermarket, or I may have been using too much, dunno
With a quick google, Tin, the primary component of Aquasafe, is not at all resistant to citric acid

So ill let the pics do the rest of the talking, but i suggest those who have it in their stills to find an alternative for regular cleaning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Re: Aquasafe Vs Citric Acid

Postby db1979 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Yes, tin will react with citric acid, whereas copper will not (except for the copper oxide or carbonate coating that forms on its surface). Just don't leave a component soldered with soft solder, such as an RC, in a citric bath for a long period of time. Same with vinegar. I should imagine that it would take a long time to develop leaks, unless there were already thin spots of solder.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby OzDistilling » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:44 am

Why are you using CA? Descaling?
OzDistilling

equipment: Brewhaus

Postby RC Al » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:03 am

To clean the copper of flux n black crap
Last edited by RC Al on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby coffe addict » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:24 am

:text-+1: with dB. I and many others have used it successfully and is fabulous for cleaning copper. With part that are already soldered don't soak but instead use gloves and a scourer. Move labour intensive but saves your hardwork from being undone.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby OzDistilling » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:24 pm

Citric Acid is a poor choice for Tin/Copper soldering.

A good Zinc Chloride based flux is best. If properly acid then passivated washed after soldering, its totally food safe.
OzDistilling

equipment: Brewhaus

Return to Safety Discussion