How much is to much

Discuss safety issues here.

How much is to much

Postby Hagrid » Thu May 17, 2012 7:21 pm

So I am just starting out on this road with a major help from 5Star and I have been scouring this site on all the topics. But one that is not mentioned but is refused to all the time and that is the drinking. At present I drink four bottles of wine a week and on occasion once a month or so two or three drinks of rum :dance: :dance:
I don't need users to tell me I drink to much I already have that role filled :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: . But I would like to know about others as I see some are making an enormas quantity of spirits and I think there should be a discussion about what is safe drinking. :crying-blue:
Hagrid

equipment: Hand made pot.
VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Re: How much is to much

Postby maheel » Thu May 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi Hagrid my names Maheel i'm a drunk...

but seriously I reckon i do drink more than what might be "healthy"
based on a quick approximate it would be 10L of beer and 1.5L of whiskey a week
might get a bit higher if i have a few big nights

interesting discussion
maheel

Postby MacStill » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 pm

The mrs tells me I can drink a bottle of rum in a night :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Not possible to gauge accurately ,Medic mindeds will say its to do with weight . Nup its to do with loads and loads of variables , eg weight , exercise , diet , constitution , the drinks consumed the climate your in and genetics just to name some . let me give you an example from my family , my great grandfather use to have a small sherry after his meals that about it . One evening he had some chest pain after tea so had his little sherry and died of a heart attack soon after he was 69 and they say the sherry contributed to his demise . His father drank like a fish ate like horse smoked like a burnt out lanz Bulldog and was killed by a stripper when he was 96 and still working go figure PS ifen ya start pissing blood back it off a bit worked for me edit (wheat stripper)
Last edited by crow on Thu May 17, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Hagrid » Thu May 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi Maheel
I was not looking for such sharing although that is good.
I work on the basis it does not affect my work all good.
I am thinking though if you make 10lt of 65% a month do you drink that .
Hagrid

VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

How much is to much

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu May 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Good topic. Health-wise you should be doing at least 3 Alcohol Free Days (AFDs) a week.

Me and the missus love us a drink, and after years of brewing cider, beer, hard lemonade & alcoholic ginger beer there is ALWAYS something to drink here - and that's without hitting a bottle-o. Now there's a shitload of spirits too!!!

So our rule is RARELY on Sunday, never on Monday or Tuesday. Rarely on Wednesday and Thursday? Thursday is 50/50 up for grabs depending on the day...and Friday and Saturday is always shots, beers and sipping drinks all afternoon and evening:-)

I spoke with my GP and whilst he wasn't a fan of our bingey drinking, he felt AFDs regularly were crucial.

He said the recommendation was :
one AFD a week
one AFD week a month
one AFD month a year
one AFD year a decade

So far we easily manage an AFD a week, struggle with one AFD week a month and haven't managed an AFD month in as long as we can remember!

Happy to hear how much others drink but I think we all know the right answer... drink less, eat healthy and get some exercise.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MacStill » Thu May 17, 2012 8:44 pm

croweater wrote: ifen ya start pissing blood back it off a bit worked for me

Bullshit! :violence-stickwhack:

Go see a doctor, you're only prolonging the problem :snooty:

Pissing blood can be a very serious issue that can have a wide range of reasons, you could have cancer of the bladder, kidneys or anything & it's probably got nothing to do with alcohol.

Ask me how I know ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Hagrid » Thu May 17, 2012 8:51 pm

I started thinking about all of this as I was tring to covince my older students not to over do it.
Hagrid

VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

How much is to much

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Hagrid wrote:I am thinking though if you make 10lt of 65% a month do you drink that .

I make average 6-9L a month of 95% and hell no I dont drink all that.

We have at least 4-6L aging any one time so no, we don't consume as fast as we make. Same with beer.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Frank » Thu May 17, 2012 9:11 pm

For many many years I never drank during the week (Monday morn to Fri arvo anyhow) and for the best part of twenty years I'd have an intoxicants-free month at least once a year (no coffee, alcohol, etc etc). always seemed to be important to do so, personally.

These days, I drink basically what/when when I f#cking well feel like it (home made BTW and NO coke or other such sh#t) which means a tallie of beer or two and a whiskey chaser most days and sometimes/rarely MUCH more....so...quantities= carton per week and 1/2 bottle of spirit???? :think:

BUT, as what Croweater says, it depends on lots of things, and I always eat very well and sleep very well almost all of the time and....if its a personal choice then, this is mine (for now anyway) :handgestures-thumbupleft: . IMHO if alcohol is going to kill me in some eventual form then I accept that (esp if I know whats in it) and understand its a better way to go then (wow, what a list I could put here including most things associated with concentrated demographics, money chasing and rat racing) 'other ways'.
Frank

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 9:29 pm

[quote="McStill" Ask me how I know ;-)[/quote]
yeah I saw something on here about your scars figured what they meant . I got a bit carried away 10 yrs back and this happened and 4 yrs back when my missus pissed off with the kids I got a bit carried away again and past blood . Bloody doctors wanted to stuff a camera up my arse , fucking like hell . Anyway didn't I cop it from my ex's step dad as he split his gut and nearly died , I said I reckon I'll just try backing it off a bit and see how I go . going ok for now but I don't drink 7 days a week anymore nowhere near it and I eat a lot healthier to
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Thu May 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Well according to the guvment if you have more than 2 or 3 :think: (Cant remember which) STANDARD drinks in a day then you are binge drinking :laughing-rolling: Have that with the first imperial pint out the tap :laughing-rolling:

But yeah the old alcohol free days will do wonders for your body to be able to get some of the shit out the system and regenerate a bit before you start smashing it again!!

At home I try to stay off monday thru to thursday night (thursday is close enough to the weekend :)) ) But when I go away fuck I might be on the gas every night for up to five weeks!! and thats drinking commercial shit :naughty:

But its always how you counteract it, I know an old bloke (not that old maybe late 50's) that will drink a bottle of scotch almost every night but every morning he will get up and "walk it off" with a massive powerwalk.

What he does is probably healthier than some nerd that sits in front of a computer 24/7 and eats shit food and never touches a drop of alcohol.

It all depends on what you are willing to accept in my books. :teasing-tease:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Thu May 17, 2012 9:41 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
What he does is probably healthier than some nerd that sits in front of a computer 24/7 and eats shit food

:teasing-tease:

You gettin this Stiggy?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Sam. » Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Kimbo wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:
What he does is probably healthier than some nerd that sits in front of a computer 24/7 and eats shit food

:teasing-tease:

You gettin this Stiggy?

But he drinks too (i assume) so he is double fucked :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: By the way that was aimed at you originally Stig
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby bt1 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Any one of us who comes even close to drinking a significant % of what we make with the avg 2" col or pot needs to seriously re consider.

It's a treat not a bloody staple...put it in prospective fgs.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Thu May 17, 2012 10:00 pm

bt1 wrote:Any one of us who comes even close to drinking a significant % of what we make with the avg 2" col or pot needs to seriously re consider.

It's a treat not a bloody staple...put it in prospective fgs.

bt1

All depends what your brewing regime consists off. You might only do a single 25L wash every 2 weeks or you might do 200L a week.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Heffers » Thu May 17, 2012 10:22 pm

bt1 wrote:It's a treat not a bloody staple...put it in prospective fgs.

bt1

I think that is the truly most significant thing that has come out of this thread.

Cheers BT1,

Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby Sam. » Thu May 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Well perspective, all alcohol you can buy from a bottle-o is getting so fucking expensive people are getting jack of it. A lot of people home brew beer because of this fact but there are a lot of people that either don't like or cant drink beer so the alternative is spirits. So instead of forking out minimum $40 for a bottle of grog they find the distilling avenue. And for a lot of these people this is a staple. I know if I could not drink beer I would produce a lot more spirit than beer.

Whatever people want to drink is there own decision, if you are over 18 and can legally drink alcohol and call yourself a man you should be able to decide what intake you have.

Each to their own, and don't knock it till you try it :))

Frank, we are getting into backwards purple territory........
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby maheel » Thu May 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Heffers wrote:
bt1 wrote:It's a treat not a bloody staple...put it in prospective fgs.
bt1

I think that is the truly most significant thing that has come out of this thread.
Cheers BT1,
Heffers

yeah that's a good statement.. sometimes i am treating it like a staple. might make Monday a AFD and just brew some :))

Hagrid wrote:Hi Maheel
I was not looking for such sharing although that is good.
I work on the basis it does not affect my work all good.
I am thinking though if you make 10lt of 65% a month do you drink that .

nah mate more being honest with myself :shock: sometimes I need to write things down and look at them to understand what I'm doing... few more AFD's for me i think :violin:

with my stillin i am at a stage where i aim for the best i can try to make, if it's good enjoy it a little but it's not really "volume" that floats my boat anymore but volume can help get the good stuff out of the middle
maheel

Postby Sam. » Thu May 17, 2012 10:45 pm

This whole subject is exactly the same as brewing beer. There are people that brew with home brand cans of goo and and kilo of sugar and like it (cheap piss) and there are people that will spend thousands of dollars on equipment and only buy the best ingredients (make awesome beer)

The distilling community is no different, everyone is looking for a different outcome and if someones opinion is different to yours dont take it as your opinion is worth any less, its just different.

I think the best way to learn about something is take information from a massive cross section of people because there just may be traits in a group you didn't consider that are the best ideas ever.

So wether you neck a bottle of UJSM every night or just have a snifter at christmas who gives a fuck? (if you were my neighbour you might :laughing-rolling: )

We be all one happy family, its just such a shame that we cannot have real meetings like the beer brewers enjoy with different clubs and case swaps etc.... :doh:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Next

Return to Safety Discussion