How much is to much

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: How much is to much

Postby MacStill » Thu May 17, 2012 10:51 pm

croweater wrote:[quote="McStill" Ask me how I know ;-)

yeah I saw something on here about your scars figured what they meant . I got a bit carried away 10 yrs back and this happened and 4 yrs back when my missus pissed off with the kids I got a bit carried away again and past blood . Bloody doctors wanted to stuff a camera up my arse , fucking like hell . Anyway didn't I cop it from my ex's step dad as he split his gut and nearly died , I said I reckon I'll just try backing it off a bit and see how I go . going ok for now but I don't drink 7 days a week anymore nowhere near it and I eat a lot healthier to[/quote]

Just cuz you stopped passing blood dont mean shit & they wont stick a camera up your arse if your pissing it ;-) it goes up ya dick sometimes twice and while your awake too :o

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

P9181828.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Thu May 17, 2012 10:54 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:This whole subject is exactly the same as brewing beer. There are people that brew with home brand cans of goo and and kilo of sugar and like it (cheap piss) and there are people that will spend thousands of dollars on equipment and only buy the best ingredients (make awesome beer)

The distilling community is no different, everyone is looking for a different outcome and if someones opinion is different to yours dont take it as your opinion is worth any less, its just different.

I think the best way to learn about something is take information from a massive cross section of people because there just may be traits in a group you didn't consider that are the best ideas ever.

So wether you neck a bottle of UJSM every night or just have a snifter at christmas who gives a fuck? (if you were my neighbour you might :laughing-rolling: )

We be all one happy family, its just such a shame that we cannot have real meetings like the beer brewers enjoy with different clubs and case swaps etc.... :doh:

:text-+1:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Thu May 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Christ almighty looks like they nearly cut ya in half . That was a decade ago the doc did say something about ramming a camera up there to as me mate had that and reckon it wasn't real cool , first time his took a piss after he passed out and fell straight in the trough. anyway i had inflamed kidney's and well I came good so didn't go back ,no has since . next thing to fuck up was the other plumbing system that why they wanted to jam a camera up there , had some gell shit I was suppose to mix with water a drink for 24 hrs before and all that. decided to give it a few weeks and see how I am , few weeks has blown out to 4 yrs and counting . But like I said I make a bit of an effort to look after myself these days , use to work 8 to 12 hrs knock off and be drinking soon as I could couple of hrs sleep and do it all again . gave that up 10 yrs ago . I wasn't a alcoholic but I drank more than some who were but if it wasn't there to be drunk i never missed it either
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu May 17, 2012 11:28 pm

The only cool thing bout it is the tube of gel before they ram it up your dick, any sign of cool soon disappears when a 50yo male doctor grabs ya shlong and rams a CB aerial up it :crying-blue:

The trauma from it all has lead me to drink to excess on occasion :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Fri May 18, 2012 3:44 am

You are always going to find a large % of alcoholics when this discussion comes up on a brewing or distilling chat.

I am drinking myself to death and i don't drink spirits.

I don't give a fuck what the doctor says at this stage.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby bt1 » Fri May 18, 2012 7:42 am

5Star,
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you'll see in future see a reason to change.

I reckon we should also consider that as a group and a site we have a implied responsibility to encourage a moderate approach to consuming. I'm no anti drinker clearly but there's a bigger picture I believe in terms of our focus as a community.

As to pricing and ppl knowing what's right for them, well the current push about standard drinks is the medical bench mark I guess, I'm not a doctor, at least we've a well publicised measuring stick we can compare to which didn't exist years back and we're talking about it...can't be all bad.

Guess pricing is like smokes, eventually they will tax it on a health basis if no other reason so it becomes less part of our culture. Consider booze is still the second larger killer of us all after smokes.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

How much is to much

Postby Sam. » Fri May 18, 2012 8:10 am

I don't think anyone should push advice on anyone about this topic as we are all grown men that make our own beds that we have to lay in. Enough said.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

How much is to much

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 18, 2012 8:54 am

Got a mate who works at a BW&S and they had staff training for "responsible service of alcohol" and they had to identify regulars who bought a bottle or more of spirits every day.

They have lots of customers who buy a 750ml bottle of the same spirit every single day after work. They call that an "at risk customer" and are obliged to offer them some information firstly on the Health risks of drinking 22 standard drinks every day and then secondly on whether or not they might need help managing an alcohol problem.

Anyone who puts away 22 standard drinks after work every single night is probably in needs of that advice I guess.

Interestingly it's not just sad alkies but business men and little old ladies who pound down a 2L port flagon every day.

Now that's too much when your bottle shop staff start noticing you suck back more than 20 drinks a day (that's almost a drink an hour of the entire day)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Kimbo » Fri May 18, 2012 8:55 am

sam_and_liv wrote:I don't think anyone should push advice on anyone about this topic as we are all grown men that make our own beds that we have to lay in. Enough said.

I dont see anyone "pushing" advice here. there are a few people voicing their opinion, which they have every right to do. ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Fri May 18, 2012 10:49 am

"responsible service of alcohol" and they had to identify regulars who bought a bottle or more of spirits every

Yeah Not having a shot at you mate but I hate this self righteous rat in ya mates culture that is slowly degenerating the culture I was raised with and I reckon your right on to it . It won't be long and drinkers will be viewed in the same manner that smokers are now . I have a good mate back home , he is slowly degenerating from parkinson's disease and the young peanuts in woolies give him a hard time every time he goes in to buy a drink . I went in with him to buy a drink last time i went back and copped ya not buying it for him are ya , made me froth told him listen ya self righteous little dweeb happens I am he's 3 times your age and intelligents and if he wasn't slowly dying he would have just knocked ya flat now get on with the sale before I change my mind and get ya boss here . My mate doesn't get as much crap in there now :twocents-mytwocents:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Frank » Fri May 18, 2012 11:05 am

Its 'TOO' much actually.....
and surely there is difference to note here between a personal opinion and the right to tell others that they should/could share that opinion???
:angry-soapbox: ;-)

That said
As Voltaire (allegedly) wrote “I may detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write it"
:twocents-twocents:
Frank

Postby kiwikeg » Fri May 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi my names Kiwikeg and I am too fat
The process of choosing a recipe,research, making it, stilling it, ageing/flavouring it, sharing something I made myself with like minded friends all contributes to my enjoyment and fullness of life. :dance:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Hagrid » Fri May 18, 2012 6:32 pm

Sorry if i have touch a taboo here. I was not looking for this kind of reaction. I do think people should know though that even though smoking has reduced by more than half of what it was. The total number of people who die a year is much the same as it was they just die of other things. We all know that old age is not a cause of death every one dies of something even at 100 yrs old.
I was just looking at how people manage there quantities.
Hagrid

equipment: Hand made pot.
VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Postby Kimbo » Fri May 18, 2012 8:25 pm

I actually think it is quite a legitimate question and a very good topic Hagrid ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby audistiller » Sat May 19, 2012 1:19 am

I have never really been a drinker. Although I think there is nothing better than an ice cold beer on a hot day, but I turn my nose up at a beer most other times. Have loved spirits for as long as I can remember, mostly I think because I can put away a few more glasses of spirits than beer before I start getting pissed. I said to my sister the first night I fired up the T500, I'm fucked if I know why I bought this, I don't really drink much at all, I just think its a fun hobby and the satisfaction of it all that got me interested. My preference is Jack Daniels over almost anything else, love the stuff.

On another note, my father in-law died several years ago because he was an alcoholic, his organs just gave up. I will die from my heart condition before anything else, already had two very close calls.

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby kiwikeg » Sat May 19, 2012 7:09 am

Kimbo wrote:I actually think it is quite a legitimate question and a very good topic Hagrid ;-)

I agree. this is a interesting topic and very worthy of discussion
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby bt1 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:05 am

This could be greedy posting twice but...

As individuals agree we'll arrive at a consumption level we're ok with. No problems with that it what's makes us unique.

Concern is once we come together as a community that's a different situation. We're basically performing an illegal function and we survive i guess , in part by being a responsible group who offer quality advice.
Don't think for a minute some health department hot shot would not relish the chance to close us down with a headline like..

"Illegal home distillers support drunken binge drinking"

Don't get me wrong here I'm not pushing for a moderation/ current government guidelines on consumption as something ppl should adopt...it's up to the individual to decide but as a community we should have a position i guess on what we present to our public face.

I don't want to see the forum under pressure of any sort...it's the only outlet for my hobby I have to share and enjoy.
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby grumpthehermit » Sat May 19, 2012 9:14 am

G'day,

Some interesting reading here, good topic ... ;-)

I drink something, almost every day ... 6 days out of 7 sometimes 13 out of every 14.

I don't consider myself a "heavy" drinker, but I'm aware drinking most of the time is not ideal for my health.

I have two or three shots of scotch over ice every other night, sometimes four or five.

I normally switch to water after dinner weekdays to flush out as much as possible before bed. ( and try to drink 2L during the day)

Weighing only 60kg's ( I'm a skinny bloke ... :D ) I don't need to drink heaps to feel the effects of it.

Before I bought my HBS still I was drinking less scotch and more homebrew kit beer, at that time I was drinking one or two tallies a night sometimes followed by a scotch.

I have not touched my beer in ages ( got 10 cartons worth stacked up in a cupboard downstairs ), my fear of Gluten and my skin kept me away from it. for those who have read my Gluten post, Gluten free has not fixed me up. I still have the rash, I eat less Gluten now anyways and we try to eat and cook healthy. Reading more and more as I do, seems there is plenty of talk about alcohol and it's drying effects on the skin ... I don't really want to not drink for month and see if it helps ... But I probably SHOULD ... :?

How much water do you all drink a day ???

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Sat May 19, 2012 10:36 am

never really liked water , over in the Riverland in SA it can get to 50 + degrees and I always took water to work and drank it as a matter of necessity maybe 5 of 10 ltrs . Over here lucky if I drank 1 glass a month in fact the last time I drank water was in SA
crow

Postby zwagerman9 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Gentleman who love their drink,
May I recommend a daily dose of Thiamine. Look at korsakoff's disease.

My input.

Rae
Nurse Speak
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

PreviousNext

Return to Safety Discussion