Gas regulator

Discuss safety issues here.

Gas regulator

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 10:18 pm

ok what is the definition of one . I'm making a bd747 and I pulled my old bbq regulator to bits expecting to find a non return valve and all sorts of shit . Nup just a spring pushing down a cock tap WTF . So why can't I remove the cock screw a in line gas needle valve too the disabled regulator and hey presto a high pressure adjustable gas regulating system . seems to easy am I missing something ?
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Gas regulator

Postby Rumdrinker » Wed May 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Personally, I wouldn't modify a low pressure regulator when medium or high pressure regulators are cheap to buy & designed for the intended use.
I have made a BD747 "type" of gas burner but I actually run it with an acetylene adjustable regulator & flash back arrestor & it works great.
Yes, it's modified, but only with the fitting swapped over to fit the gas bottle which doesn't remove any safety features. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Fair enough yeah just that I had most of the fittings to do it :sad: . I had a look at an adjustable HP reg online was $38 a hose was about $17 freight say $15 , with the hose maybe $20 so theres $75 bucks just to hook it to a bottle
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby audistiller » Thu May 24, 2012 1:35 am

croweater wrote:so theres $75 bucks just to hook it to a bottle

I would think you could get it a little cheaper, but even $75 is a fair price for a new regulator setup designed to do the job safely, remember its a bit too late when it all turns to shit. :naughty:
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby maheel » Thu May 24, 2012 9:07 am

apart from lowering the output pressure of a LPG bottle what safety features does the reg actually have ?

i have often wondered if they really do anything more than a needle valve does ?

i am not advocating modding a reg just often thought if there is any "safety" in a reg
maheel

Postby R-sole » Thu May 24, 2012 9:37 am

It lowers the pressure. a needle valve will only lower the flow
i have 1/2" ball valves in series with my burners when the high pressure reg is on and use that to lower the flow.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Okay yes I'm ware no one is likely to tell me to disable a reg but having pulled the thing to bits and finding there is almost nothing to it I though some honest and open discussion about the roll of a gas regulator my be of interest to a hell of a lot of members . @ Maheel : I can't see any safety feature to it other than it convolutes and restricts the gas flow ,I mean to say , the cock can't even fully close and a reversed flow could only open it further from what I can see . @ 5Star Do you think the adjustable regulator would negate the need for a needle valve as suggested by some ppl or would it pay to include both . I have a 1/2" one that came off an LPG bottle but I'd need to get the fittings to include it
crow

Postby R-sole » Sat May 26, 2012 4:38 am

That's a question for a plumber mate.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 5:03 am

I bought a different set up now that should work fine :D i posted pic in Dons burner thread I think to see what ppl thought of it
crow

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 pm

No matter what you do as long as you can get to the bottle and turn the source off before you burn everything to the ground :angry-extinguishflame: and explode the bottle it should be apples :handgestures-thumbupleft: :teasing-tease:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Safety Discussion