Ethanol Extinguishing video

Discuss safety issues here.

Ethanol Extinguishing video

Postby googe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 am

Didnt notice a how to vid of extinguising an ethanol fire here?. Better than reading an eplanation.

Edit by Stig to fix video
googe

Re: Ethanol Extinguishing video

Postby bt1 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 am

Many years back now i used to be tied up in classic bike racing (pre Dec 31st 1962 builds)

That demo has a lot of contamiants in the fuel source cos a true ethanol fire burns clear in daylight. The Fire saftey mob changed all our mandated extinguishers over to a type that had a heat sensitive dye in them specifically for this reason after a serious fire at Mac Park one Xmas meeting.

Piont being in daylight you'll be lucky to see the source or spread of fire.

The poor bloke was badly burnt and never raced again.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Ethanol Extinguishing video

Postby JayD » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:55 am

While using my little toy l had a pressurised vapour fire after my seal failed in service and l tell you it scared the livin shyte out of me! after l got over the initial micro shirt over my head run around like a chook phase and the take care of business kicked in l simply just walked over to the fire rocketing out of the side of the pot that was more like a jet engine burning....took a deep breath and blew it out...this worked for a moment and it re ignited and l thought fark!!! so l took another deep breath and blew it out again, only this time l turn off the burner and that was it, this took some of my confidence away and is as close to an emergency that l want to be around for a life time...just sharin with you all...be careful.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Return to Safety Discussion