Propane flashback arrestors

Discuss safety issues here.

Propane flashback arrestors

Postby Camikaze » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:57 am

Good morning all,

I have been doing some research regarding propane burners etc and have decided just to build me a BD747 when the time eventuates. I like fabbing stuff and I'm a tightarse.

I have no probs regarding regs etc but am curious to know where I can purchase a reasonably priced propane flashback arrestor.

Is an acetylene one suitable?

I am led to beleive that it should be fitted in between the reg and burner, not directly to the cylinder. Is this correct?

Oh, and just for shits n' giggles...

This is what 5.14 million BTU looks like. :o

12 BDs!!! :D

Cam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Re: Propane flashback arrestors

Postby mullamulla » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Some background music....

Farken hell that thing is cool :o
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby googe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Awesome!, imagine the hours of fun burning shit with that! :))
googe

Postby mullamulla » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Indeed... worlds quickest doner kebab comes to mind =p~
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby Camikaze » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:28 am

Any ideas on the flashback arrestor guys?

I'm getting the gear for the burner build together and safety is right at the top of my list. Plus, it keeps the missus on my side.

I had a look in Mitre 10 yesterday but could only find acetylene ones around the $90 mark. Could I adapt one of these to suit? My guess is no, given the different densities of the gases, not to mention acetylene being a lot 'dirtier' gas than propane.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I love that big ring burner, I think its actually a pre-heater element for a huge furnace. Would love to see the main burner.

Thanks guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby googe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:28 am

I'd guess no with the acetylene one. Mine is " Supply corp", flashback arrestor with thermal cutoff valve. Model #E2020126 dgn. Dont quote me on the number though, bit hard to read lol. Its up to 600 kpa. And yes between the reg and the burner, mine is on the reg itself, was going to post you a pic but my comp is being a bitch :evil: . Good luck mate.
googe

Postby Camikaze » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks googe mate that helps a lot.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

Postby crow » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 pm

how did ya get on with this Cam
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Camikaze » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:59 am

Whoops, forgot about this post. :oops: :oops:

Haven't looked much more into it Crow. I have dropped the BD747 idea at the moment as I am staying in the NT for another year. Our fences are 4ft cyclone fences all round and where I'm living at the moment, it would draw waay too much attention of the wrong kind. :sad:

I'm using a Bayou Classic burner instead with the whole she-bang sheathed with a steel drum.

I'll be looking into this further when I am in NSW, in the shed on my 1/2 acre property (the one with the manky pool.) :-D
Camikaze

Postby crow » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:20 pm

:text-offtopic:
Yes i have often thought about an investment property in Katherine/knotts crossing : land price similar to anywhere cost of building(do most yaself): 10 15% more than down south, cost of rent: Fuck me prolly $600 a week for a burnt out falcon with no windows and a power box near by by now :scared-eek:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Safety Discussion