Take off point height

Discuss safety issues here.

Take off point height

Postby bt1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:52 am

Stuff me

If you look at a lot of finished still posts you see collection jars balancing on all sorts of kitchenware containers, buckets from the shed, stacks of this or that etc.

Why not have a piece of 3/8" over 1/4" for parrot or for PC end point 3/4" over 1/2" (1" over 3/4") with a SS finger tab lock screw to adjust take of point height so collection jars can be at a safe height on a flat stable surface. Simple easy works at any angle...might just do it myself this week!

Spare thought
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Take off point height

Postby poompy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 am

its funny that you posted this morning...i did a spirit run on my rum last night and i had a chopping board supporting the condensor so as not to put to much stress on the t500 boiler lid. I had my parrot on two books to get the height right and then the collection jar below it on the bench.

But i have been guilty of using upside down bowls, books, buckets etc. can never find the right thing at the right time haha :)) :))

would be interested to see what you come up with.
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Take off point height

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 am

poompy wrote:its funny that you posted this morning...i did a spirit run on my rum last night and i had a chopping board supporting the condensor so as not to put to much stress on the t500 boiler lid. I had my parrot on two books to get the height right and then the collection jar below it on the bench.

But i have been guilty of using upside down bowls, books, buckets etc. can never find the right thing at the right time haha :)) :))

would be interested to see what you come up with.

Me too, I use a veggie strainer colander thing upside down with a chopping block and I collect into a glass Pyrex cooking jug. Very "backyard"
:-)

Love to see some suggestion photos bt1.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Linno » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 am

I got in strife from the misses for choppin the legs on one of our kitchen stools just a bit shorter to suit a double use as a collection stool when I used to Still in the laundry..... :violence-smack:

no-one notices but her... :wtf:
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby emptyglass » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:42 am

Linno wrote:I got in strife from the misses for choppin the legs on one of our kitchen stools just a bit shorter to suit a double use as a collection stool when I used to Still in the laundry..... :violence-smack:

no-one notices but her... :wtf:

You are right mate, I didn't notice!

I use the same size collection vessels. No jigging around then. Some guys like to use different size ones, but they don't always have to be filled to the top...
emptyglass

Postby blond.chap » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 am

That's an excellent suggestion bt1, though the mortar was pretty stable...
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby googe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:24 am

Was thinking this very thing lastnight bt, I want a shelf with a couple of arms that clips or slides onto the keg. I used to use the shelf in the pic ages ago and it worked well, just fill it with jars and slide em along. I like your idea, what's a SS finger tab lock screw though?. Would it be to much added weight on the still?.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby bt1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 am

googe,

$1.76 from bunnos
just remove screw from worm drive housing and use it on it's own.

weight <50gms i guess.

hose clamp.jpg

cheers
bt1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Ahhh I'm with ya now.
googe

Return to Safety Discussion