Alcohol Scare

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: Alcohol Scare

Postby Bandicoot Wrangler » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:09 pm

It's good the blokes are having this discussion.

Every one IS totally different.

My Granddad was one of those guys who simply couldn't have even one drink or have any booze in the house. He had put my Dad and Aunties through Hell and driven my Grandma to an early grave. He would go for upwards of six months on the wagon and he was great. Putting ships in bottles and promising to show me the ropes. When he got on the piss he would vanish for a month / six weeks and be paraletic or unconsious. I have known a few blokes like that. Everyone is different. If you decide to cut down your drinking and find it isn't as easy as you expected dont fuck around - GET HELP!! See you Doctor or go to AA. A lot of employers have Helplines for the workers and they will help and they know their shit.

The piss killed Grandpa before he taught me to tie a Turk's Head and he wasn't even 60.

Stay Safe !!
Bandicoot Wrangler

Postby Summie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Kimbo
Crap, Before i started Stilling I drank Jim Beam. Now, if i had a bottle in the house i would have 4/5 drinks per night.
If there was no bottle, I thought "Meh!" it didnt bother me. But coz there was booze in the house, I had to drink it.

Now that I make my own, I find that I only drink 1-2 per night and slightly more on weekends.
The difference is, that I now drink every single night, but hardly ever enough to get drunk.

So what you have said in my original post is confirmed by what you said above. Now you make it you drink less, more energy goes Into making than drinking so thanks kimbo for the confirmation.

I do how ever still think that it is ridiculous that if it is there you need to drink it. That is what I find is the stuiped part. Have some self control, is all I can say to people that think this. That was my point; and anyone that has a problem with that, has a problem them selfs.
Summie

equipment: Pura distilling reflux and boiler, 2.5" stripping pot still.
4" modular 4 plate bubble cap with 50 litre keg boiler.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Summie wrote:I do how ever still think that it is ridiculous that if it is there you need to drink it. That is what I find is the stuiped part. Have some self control, is all I can say to people that think this. That was my point; and anyone that has a problem with that, has a problem them selfs.

According to those that research this type of thing.
There is such a thing as "an addictive personality".
Those that have it will be uncontrollable with whatever they are addicted too.
Be it booze, cigarettes, gambling, drugs etc.

This is not an excuse by any means.
Such personalities uncontrolled have ruined many a family and lives other than their own.

Not understanding it is more likely what you are trying to say.
That shows you don't have that type of personality..... but empathy for those that do is also a wise thing to have.

Many of the members here have been affected by such addictions - whether their own or others close to them.
It's never nice to see people self destruct because on uncontrolled behaviour.

(Steps down from soapbox )
DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Summie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Dogbreathvodka well said! ^:)^
Summie

equipment: Pura distilling reflux and boiler, 2.5" stripping pot still.
4" modular 4 plate bubble cap with 50 litre keg boiler.

Postby Dominator » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:21 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:
Summie wrote:I do how ever still think that it is ridiculous that if it is there you need to drink it. That is what I find is the stuiped part. Have some self control, is all I can say to people that think this. That was my point; and anyone that has a problem with that, has a problem them selfs.

According to those that research this type of thing.
There is such a thing as "an addictive personality".
Those that have it will be uncontrollable with whatever they are addicted too.
Be it booze, cigarettes, gambling, drugs etc.

This is not an excuse by any means.
Such personalities uncontrolled have ruined many a family and lives other than their own.

Not understanding it is more likely what you are trying to say.
That shows you don't have that type of personality..... but empathy for those that do is also a wise thing to have.

Many of the members here have been affected by such addictions - whether their own or others close to them.
It's never nice to see people self destruct because on uncontrolled behaviour.

(Steps down from soapbox )
DBV

Well said DBV. Summie, it is very easy to judge someone but until you have been in their shoes, you really don't know what it is like. I suggest a bit of empathy may be in order.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:31 am

Id just like to point out that it has since been discovered that these health issues were not caused by alcohol and that alcohol being acidic was contributing to symptoms but nots causing them this is proven by the months ive had without drinking and the fact symptoms remain. Sugar, coffee alcohol all cause issues with gastritis. Point is some valid points have been made hear about our hobby choose to accept them or not this thread points out some valid issues we should all consider in our hobby if you dont drink more coz its in the cupboard good for you but if someone here does drink more because its there then your comments arent going yo help them your just going to sound high and mighty to that person
ticknaylor

Postby Longknife » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi crew.

I'm glad to see some mature discussion about something that can really get out of control in our hobby.
I'm one of the " ones to many twentys not enough" brigade.
When I started stilling I was already drinking heavily then the booze on tap made it worse.
I had to have a good think about things and really cut down.
Since being really disciplined ( shot pourers and majority alcohol free days", I have found I'm spending more time getting it right and going for quality rather than quantity. I feel better and enjoy the smaller amounts.
Take care people and enjoy the hobby, like others said, if you feel it's getting the better if you go get help.
My say anyway
Longknife

equipment: Ss t500 reflux

Previous

Return to Safety Discussion