Containers safe to store 43 percent alcohol

Discuss safety issues here.

Postby Valoren » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:02 pm

Hey guys, just wondering if the no plastic rule applies when dealing with cut spirit, does alcohol act as a solvent when below a certain concentration or at such a reduced capacity that it's safe to store in food grade plastic, tons of filters out there have plastic components and parts (Anyone who's used a Z or EZ filter knows what im talking about!

If plastic is still totally unsuitable would food grade steel drums be better? are there any non reactive containers that aren't glass, stainless or ceramic?

Post if you've got any innovative ideas or solutions
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Re: Containers safe to store 43 percent alcohol

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Personal opinion is Id rather be safe than sorry, None of my booze goes near plastic, I stick to Stainless or Glass at any ABV. As for ceramic Id say it would be alright.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Brendan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:32 pm

No innovative ideas or solutions sorry...

Plastic is not 'totally' unsuitable, it will hold your liquid, but there's a reason why everybody that knows what they're doing doesn't use it. The fact is, the plastic does leach into spirit, so you can decide if you want to drink that.

Ever drank water out of a bottle after a few days and can taste the plastic?? Now put a solvent like ethanol in there which will amplify the process that occurs with water, and store it away...

Yummmmy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby bt1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 am

Yeh,

glass, SS or oak barrels is the go.

Sam posted a picture of a simple seal in a glass jar a few months ago...think it's in a storage thread...spirit looked like thin silicone/mikly in I think about 6 hours only.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Yeah that was in high proof spirit so I did it again at 40% with the same seal and only took a couple of days and it tasted real bad.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 pm

:text-+1: On what the others said mate, what sort of volume are you wishing to store?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Dino61 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:51 pm

I used to give some 40% to mates when they had parties ,for the punch, and last year they discovered a few bottles they hadnt used, under the bar, which I'd taken in in plastic coke bottles...they mustve been there a couple of years at least, I took it home, and drank it , and it was fine, still here!No discernible taste of degradatioon of the bottle...I reckon if coke doesnt do anything to the plastic alcohol wont...
Dino61

equipment: custom 80l stainless boiler made n NZ , 2x 2400w elements, reflux and pot heads.

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Dino61 wrote:I used to give some 40% to mates when they had parties ,for the punch, and last year they discovered a few bottles they hadnt used, under the bar, which I'd taken in in plastic coke bottles...they mustve been there a couple of years at least, I took it home, and drank it , and it was fine, still here!No discernible taste of degradatioon of the bottle...I reckon if coke doesnt do anything to the plastic alcohol wont...

fair point, when I was new to this I collected in a small coke bottle (Plastic) for around 20 to 30 seconds, as I was holding the bottle I could feel it starting to swell up real fast ! I never did that again and I dont store in ordinary plastic bottle only ones I buy from a brew shop...but I do this as little as I can these days as I have a swag of old clean whiskey bottles we got from the tip. Back to your two year old booze in plastic bottles you found, you might not even realise it done something to you as it could be related to a smoke, one nail at a time. just saying....
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Dino61 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:15 pm

I tend not to do it generally just in case, but suffer from a lack of bottles often also...so if I'm giving some away I'll do it for ease of transport...I bought a whole lot of HBS bottles once, but they all dissappeared eventually somehow...
Dino61

equipment: custom 80l stainless boiler made n NZ , 2x 2400w elements, reflux and pot heads.

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:53 pm

At this stage plastic is unsuitable. However I was talking to my boss whos a technical engineer in the plastic industry.

He firmly believes that plastic will take place of glass either sooner or later and he says there is development directly aimed at producing a inside layer to the PET bottles to allow a barrier between high ABV and the nasties in plastic. Its gonna happen its just a matter of time he says.

And he knows plastic better than anyone I've ever met. :geek:He really does love the shit.

No matter what happens I have enough glass to see out the domination of plastic and will never use it to store alcohol;-)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Ive yet to see a bottle of spirit of any kind sold in a bottle shop in Australia in a plastic bottle. I believe some countries do allow it to be sold that way though.
Also a very large majority of Distilling forum users world wide frown on the idea of storing alcohol of any ABV in plastic.
Those reasons are good enough for me.
Im also aware that a large majority of the worlds population believed the world was flat once, doesn't change a thing...glass it is for me.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:16 pm

SBB wrote:Ive yet to see a bottle of spirit of any kind sold in a bottle shop in Australia in a plastic bottle.

THIS! Sorry but people who say "oh I drank some 60% out of plastic and I'm fine"... I would say long term you don't know the health risk of what you ingested. See Sam's photos of a supposed food grade silicon seal after being soaked in 40% neutral - if you drank that you'd be sucking back toxins.

Now we all know that modern mass market distillers need to make as much money as possible to stay in business. If they COULD get away with plastic don't you think they would? The reason they ALL use more expensive glass is because you simply can't store a solvent like alcohol in plastic.

So glass & stainless and that's it. Find jars, or stubbies or anything but not plastic.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 am

earthenware is fine too, you can sometimes pick up one to five gal demijohns quite cheap in second hand joints and ebay for cheap as, I also have loads of 750 ml crocks you can get from salvo's and vinnies type shops for around 1 to 2 bucks . i reckon they are shit hot as they are insulated and light proof :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:02 am

20 litre plastic drums where used ,do not know if are used today , i have a couple of bunderberg rum ,they are yellow and have white lid .
wynnum1

Postby Dominator » Thu May 23, 2013 6:55 pm

I have done some searching but not much luck. I understand no plastic for alcohol and everyone says either stainless, glass or ceramic but what about alloy. I need something for storing low wines and I was thinking a 20L alloy stock pot with a silicone seal on the lid. Is there any problem with this?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby blond.chap » Thu May 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Dominator wrote:I have done some searching but not much luck. I understand no plastic for alcohol and everyone says either stainless, glass or ceramic but what about alloy. I need something for storing low wines and I was thinking a 20L alloy stock pot with a silicone seal on the lid. Is there any problem with this?

Do you mean aluminium? There's some research around aluminium leaching into food and having health impacts, however this been debated by other sources. Personally I would look at a stainless keg or glass carboy if you need to store large volumes of low wines.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Dominator » Thu May 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Yeah I was talking about Aluminium. I might just stick with SS and glass.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Stevem109r » Thu May 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Don't use alloy for long term storage, unless it is sealed,

Sent via electronic carrier pigeon :)
Stevem109r
Site Donor

equipment: HBS Reflux
Mac Pot
23lt fermenter/boiler
Keg boiler

Postby Hobo » Thu May 23, 2013 8:03 pm

I have done a fair bit of research and thinking about this subject, so many things are claimed to be SAFE and then suddenly deemed to be toxic. For anything storage, it is not that hard to find containers that are not plastic, sauce bottles, wine bottles, stubbies, longnecks, etc.
Heck even store your spirits in a stainless Cornelius keg. I found a supplier on Ebay selling 20l polished stainless jerry cans with a tap for $72.00
Beg, borrow, scrounge (don't steal) get glass or buy staino or oak.
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby Brendan » Fri May 24, 2013 1:04 am

Hobo wrote:I have done a fair bit of research and thinking about this subject, so many things are claimed to be SAFE and then suddenly deemed to be toxic. For anything storage, it is not that hard to find containers that are not plastic, sauce bottles, wine bottles, stubbies, longnecks, etc.
Heck even store your spirits in a stainless Cornelius keg. I found a supplier on Ebay selling 20l polished stainless jerry cans with a tap for $72.00
Beg, borrow, scrounge (don't steal) get glass or buy staino or oak.

Good advice there Hobo :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sounds like you've ditched the old vegetable oil bottles (or whatever they were?) ;-)
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Next

Return to Safety Discussion