Containers safe to store 43 percent alcohol

Discuss safety issues here.

Re: Containers safe to store 43 percent alcohol

Postby Hobo » Fri May 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Brendan wrote:
Hobo wrote:I have done a fair bit of research and thinking about this subject, so many things are claimed to be SAFE and then suddenly deemed to be toxic. For anything storage, it is not that hard to find containers that are not plastic, sauce bottles, wine bottles, stubbies, longnecks, etc.
Heck even store your spirits in a stainless Cornelius keg. I found a supplier on Ebay selling 20l polished stainless jerry cans with a tap for $72.00
Beg, borrow, scrounge (don't steal) get glass or buy staino or oak.

Good advice there Hobo :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sounds like you've ditched the old vegetable oil bottles (or whatever they were?) ;-)

Yeah Brendan, they were 5l drinking water PET bottles, I bought a 5l Demijohn for woodchipping and a 20l stainless jerry can to store my TPW or WBW neutral in.
I kept one PET bottle for dilution as it is only brief exposure (and I am comfortable with that)
There is a big difference between using it as a mix down tool (5 mins) and storing (weeks/months)
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby kingy » Fri May 24, 2013 7:53 pm

I've actually brought a 375ml bottle of bourbon once to sneak into a festival and it was hard plastic.
But
Glass is cheap so why risk plastic?
Ya can get 2litre glass flagons for 2bux!
5 litre ones for 14!
19-20 litre corny kegs for 50!
And piece of mind.

I know a dude that stores his spirits in the 20litre water bottles that get delivered.
He's not dead. Very strange but not dead lol.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby MacStill » Fri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm

just think for the price you pay for your booze now, and then the price of a bottle of JD or whatever..... is it really that expensive to buy demijohns ????

you're saving so much making your own I would've thought buying some decent aging vessels for "long term usage" is negligible :icon-rolleyes:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby wedwards » Fri May 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Just as an aside to this discussion, I was once in the back of a very large saloon pub/nightclub in my local area and in their storage area they had big 20-25L plastic cubes with their spirits in them (all name brand badged etc). That's how they were shipped in bulk and they just refilled bottles. I wasn't distilling when I saw this but just remembered it. Reminds me to drink beer when out :)
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby wedwards » Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Further to what Mac said, at $50 per 50L keg, $40 for a stainless tap and seal and clamp, plus at most $40-$50 to get someone to weld the tap on (or free if you give a bottle of booze most of the time), that's about 2 bottles of OK scotch (not even the good stuff). Thats seriously overstating costs, but worst case what it might cost. It's affordable if you want it to be, especially with what you save on buying booze.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby drunkmore » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Big W have 19 litre SS pot with a pyrex lid for $20. A bit of plumbers tape round the lid edge to make it seal. And a SS screw in the annoying steam hole it's got in the lid. That about $1.10 a litre.
And it's safe
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby gad » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:57 pm

wedwards wrote:Just as an aside to this discussion, I was once in the back of a very large saloon pub/nightclub in my local area and in their storage area they had big 20-25L plastic cubes with their spirits in them (all name brand badged etc). That's how they were shipped in bulk and they just refilled bottles. I wasn't distilling when I saw this but just remembered it. Reminds me to drink beer when out :)

I work for a major Aussie liquor distributor & most popular spirits are supplied to clubs in 20L "plastic" drums, they have the "Flammable Liquid 3" labels on them. I have a few "empty" here & have been pondering whether I could store 40% neautral in them, as well as feints etc. I'm sure we have all had spirits at the club ..... !
The manufacturers supply their spirits in these containers, so are they safe, don't know?
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby MacStill » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:25 pm

gad wrote:
wedwards wrote:Just as an aside to this discussion, I was once in the back of a very large saloon pub/nightclub in my local area and in their storage area they had big 20-25L plastic cubes with their spirits in them (all name brand badged etc). That's how they were shipped in bulk and they just refilled bottles. I wasn't distilling when I saw this but just remembered it. Reminds me to drink beer when out :)

I work for a major Aussie liquor distributor & most popular spirits are supplied to clubs in 20L "plastic" drums, they have the "Flammable Liquid 3" labels on them. I have a few "empty" here & have been pondering whether I could store 40% neautral in them, as well as feints etc. I'm sure we have all had spirits at the club ..... !
The manufacturers supply their spirits in these containers, so are they safe, don't know?

Have a good read of this thread from the start mate, then take a look at Our policy on plastic for storing spirits and I think you'll realise how you're going to be answered.

;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby gad » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks for the link. Guess I can use those containers for fuel.
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Previous

Return to Safety Discussion