copper plating of brass fittings

Discuss safety issues here.

Postby snapperhead » Fri May 17, 2013 7:06 pm

I was on my my usual scenic route research into all things copper and I was wondering if anyone knows whether laying down a thick layer of copper over brass fittings, would make them "safe" in contact with vapours and the like. And by "thick", I mean somewhere in the region of 0.1 - 0.2 mm minimum. Has anyone done this, or is it another automatic entry into the darwin awards for me ?
snapperhead

equipment: Currently building an artisan copper alembic pot of approx 60 litres. more planned, but first things first.

Re: copper plating of brass fittings

Postby Cane Toad » Fri May 17, 2013 7:19 pm

I spose you could coat the brass in a layer of copper,if my memory from high school serves me correct,and I doubt it does, :laughing-rolling: all you need is a copper sulphate solution and and electrical charge :teasing-tease: Keep us posted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby 1 2many » Fri May 17, 2013 7:34 pm

snapperhead wrote:I was on my my usual scenic route research into all things copper and I was wondering if anyone knows whether laying down a thick layer of copper over brass fittings, would make them "safe" in contact with vapours and the like. And by "thick", I mean somewhere in the region of 0.1 - 0.2 mm minimum. Has anyone done this, or is it another automatic entry into the darwin awards for me ?

:)) :)) I don't think there will be 2many coating there own brass .

Interesting idea but how are you going to coat to 0.1 - 0.2 .

Mate dont worry if you dont get the entry i have 3 life time membership cards for the Darwin Awards .

I will shout you one.

I don't need them all . 8-} :O) :teasing-tease: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby snapperhead » Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 pm

I was contemplating (pun intended) basic DIY copper plating, as having a supply of copper offcuts and scrap is one of the things needed. and I thought that those copper scrubbers had massive surface area and would almost melt under the right conditions (safety note please, I am insane and this should not be attempted until .......well at least wait till results come in)...... A bath of battery acid, copper shrapnel, and a bank of 12v car batteries and a couple of chargers wired up, what could go wrong.

All fun aside, the surface area of copper scrubbies should aid in the disposition rate and with patience and multiple runs (with light sanding between coats), you could get a good build up that could seal the sufrace layer below......maybe..... thoughts please?
snapperhead

equipment: Currently building an artisan copper alembic pot of approx 60 litres. more planned, but first things first.

Postby 1 2many » Fri May 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Electrolysis cool that works real good if you now how to it correctly .I uesd that method for rust removal amazing results.
looking forward to your results . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Coating/electroplating is easily doable, and not really a life threatening process(just avoid gasses), but to get to that sort of thickness might be a big ask.

Muratic acid and only 6 volts.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=38570
emptyglass

Postby SBB » Fri May 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Why not just buy stainless or copper fittings and save the drama.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby emptyglass » Sat May 18, 2013 12:31 am

You leave us drama queens alone, and go back to your sensable copper or stainless.

Seen any copper coloured triclamps latley? :laughing-rolling:

Its just a red herring for the china's to copy. just a ruse to get them off the scent.

Alibaba will be offering copper plated aluminium stills next week.

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
emptyglass

Postby crow » Sun May 19, 2013 3:17 am

yeah rusting stainless has been a festering problem with some lesser grades :think: could be a temporary fixer upper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby snapperhead » Sun May 19, 2013 6:30 pm

It would be great to be able to cast pure copper, but that shit is real hard, its most likely why its alloys are used so much.

Brass is like kindergarten compared to casting pure copper, so plating would be much easier to make happen, than casting the real thing.

Rusting stainless sounds like a case of "cheap for a reason". Buy local and only trust domestic proven products.

Hey you Guru's, If I alloy my own brass using only copper and zinc, (with a zero tolerance for Pb & Sb contaminants), Is that safe in Ethanol vapour ?
snapperhead

Postby MacStill » Sun May 19, 2013 6:34 pm

There is an easier way if you absolutely must use brass and are afraid of the minute amount of shit in it, you could just tin the exposed area with soft solder :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby drunkmore » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:46 pm

You bloody rippa mac
I've got one brass nut ( :oops: mmm that's not what is sounds like). That is in my system I'm always concerned its doing me a disfavour. Now you have given me the answer.
I was hoping to copper plate it but as its out of sight I don't care what colour it is
Cheers
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby Rumdrinker » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:12 pm

MacStill wrote:There is an easier way if you absolutely must use brass and are afraid of the minute amount of shit in it, you could just tin the exposed area with soft solder :D

I've used brass but now won't use anything but stainless or copper, all up to personal preference :-)

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Return to Safety Discussion