How Safe Are Rubber Bungs?

Discuss safety issues here.

How Safe Are Rubber Bungs?

Postby emzy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:47 pm

hi everyone, just have a brief question RE safety topic.

I have a Brewcraft Reflux Still and the thermometer is held in the still head through a BLACK rubber bung. Is there an issue with toxins leeching out into my final product?

If so is there a safer rubber other than the black that i can use i.e red bungs that you can buy?

Or is there any other solution to modify ?

Thanks for your feedback

Andrew
emzy

equipment: Reflux Still

Re: How Safe Are Rubber Bungs?

Postby Brendan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Again, hopefully someone else can help in more detail in regards to your particular still...

But I don't think any rubber is safe for our use mate...I think the one's you're talking about are the black/white/red ones that they use to bung in the top of scientific flasks (erlenmeyer flasks).

An alternate fix is to get some natural cork (not the 2 dollar shop stuff which is held together with toxic glue), and make your own little bung and drill a hole through (or push the thermometer through is it's sharp) for the thermometer... :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:58 pm

I shave down used wine corks to replace any rubber bungs/thermometer ports etc, the rubber ones perish very quickly.
try and find wine corks that are made from one piece of cork. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby C2H6O » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Whilst the crew were having a look over my contraption the other day someone noticed i had a rubber bung at the top of my column. I have a copper cap so the rubber bung only holds the thermometer, but it is likely that it does come in contact with a little steam. Blonde.chap suggested "a quick fix would be to wrap the rubber stopper in a few layers of plumbers tape (PTFE), which is good and inert".

Might help if you're after a quick fix..
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby emzy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks for the fast replies, great suggestions i didnt even think of so greatly appreciated

See pic of my still head, pretty sure these suggestions will be just what i need

Thanks again

Andrew

emzy

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:32 pm

hmm you might want to also consider swapping that plastic output/collection tube for a piece of copper tubing.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Brendan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:40 pm

kiwikeg wrote:hmm you might want to also consider swapping that plastic output/collection tube for a piece of copper tubing.

Aren't they all for coolant water? I was assuming the product output was not visible in the picture...but you're more than likely right kiwi :?
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby emzy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Kiwikeg is right it is the out put tube.

Point take, will get onto that too.

Thanks for the feedback

Andrew
emzy

Postby drunkmore » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Interesting looking still. What is it made of? Is that two pot paint on it? Quite like the colour
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:29 am

Howdy,

I doubt they would use rubber. I'd suggest is black PTE instead. no one would seriously be that dumb in a commercial area surely?

I've a very good 25lt Essencia CM I don't use any more that has a bung and can confirm it's not rubber but PTFE having checked with the maker.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 am

Hey mate.
I started with one of those reflux stills, has a marble in it from memory.

The rubber taints the product as it breaks down, so yeah....not good.

Maybe a quick build of a 2" pot still.
It will be just as fast if not faster and will make a much nicer product.
Just a thought

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:13 pm

drunkmore wrote:Interesting looking still. What is it made of? Is that two pot paint on it? Quite like the colour

I've got one of these.They are made of copper.Its a metalic paint on it.Mine and at least six others I have seen are all a charcoal colour.Funny this one looks greenish but I like it.
Re the bung.Bt1 may very well be right that its teflon and not rubber.Mine is atleast six years old and shows no sign of deterioration.I never experienced any rubber taste (not that I would notice with turbos :laughing-rolling: )
I did notice the plastic from the output tube though.Although it may well be teflon bung, if I was to use this still again I would probably use a cork bung
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby db1979 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:50 pm

My brother has the same still and he's lent it to me to modify, I was going to change the bung but I had the same line of thinking as bt1... It didn't really look like rubber, so I've left it in there. Who knows what plastic it is but the still is second hand, he bought it from a guy he used to work with who had it a number of years and the bung looks like it's almost brand new.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Safety Discussion