Plastic, rubber, silicone.

Discuss safety issues here.

Plastic, rubber, silicone.

Postby SX170 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 am

Since joining here I have become very wary of how I store/transfer my spirit.
It is a real shame that most home brew shops and their still manufacturers dont highlight the risks. Bit irresponsible I reckon.
Anyway I have a few questions regarding the passing of spirit over various materials.
1. I always store my neutral in 5L glass demijohns (Ithink theyre called) but the all have a white rubber seal at the top. Is this a concern?
2. What about mixing the nuetral when using liquer essences? Plastic measuring jug and spoon a big no go?
3. Gaskets between easy flanges. Is EPDM rubber suitable or would silicone be a better option? I have been looking for natural cork but cant seem to find any that hasnt been reconstituted with some sort of glue. On the topic of silicone, could gaskets be made with the everyday neutral cure roof and gutter stuff or would the acetic cure anti fungal stuff be a better option? I know I can buy silicone gaskets but want to keep as much of the build as home made as possible.

I dont know if I am being over cautious but I plan on not having my spirit touch anything other than copper, stainless or glass. So I busy running around looking for stainless funnels & spoons and glass mixing jugs.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
SX170

equipment: Home built bubbler.

Re: Plastic, rubber, silicone.

Postby Frothwizard » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:14 am

I'm no expert by ANY stretch of the imagination, but it does sound like you are being overly cautious (if there is such a thing with this hobby).

Plenty of people have been drinking alcohol out of plastic cups since the dawn of time...I don't think exposure for 2 minutes in a mixing jug before bottling would cause too many issues.

Also to my mind, hot vapour as opposed to cold liquid would have different effects...

Again, no basis for my opinions, just a feeling.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby blond.chap » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:05 am

Hey mate, I believe the forum's position on plastics is covered here: http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3745

You can get cheap stainless gear (funnels etc.) on ebay and pyrex glass measuring jugs only cost a few dollars from the supermarket. Teflon (PTFE) and silicone are generally considered safe for short term contact as gaskets. The problem with most plastic gear is you don't know what it is, and what it's putting in your drink.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:11 am

MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 am

As for the corks, a champagne cork fits perfectly into a 5L demijohn :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SX170 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks for the replies, some good info there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo, top idea on the Corks will do tonight.
One last safety questions for all the gurus on here.
I have had my keg/boiler tig welded up and have had a 1" bsp s/s elbow welded into the bottom for a drain.
I have a s/s ball valve but need to braze about 150mm of copper between them. To do this I will have to use brass brazing bushes.
I know brass is a big no no and these will be in contact with the wash in the boiler. Is this a concern or only if in the vapour path?

Geez this site is good for information/help from the members. I am on a couple of fishing forums and usually when someone new asks a fairly simple question its not long before some of the "more experienced" members are belittling them for not knowing or posting smart arse comments.
I hope one day I will be able to help a new member with what I learnt along the way.

Cheers. ^:)^
SX170

Postby bt1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:24 pm

sx,

Personally I would not have brass in contact with hot wash or vapour...your call on avoidable risk factors.

Next year when the CA legislation goes in as notice period expires 1/1/14 and then becomes mandatory we can then truly get lead free( and a couple of other nasties) brass so when it's labelled lead free on their std. for potable water it will mean exactly that.

Currently it equates to anywhere from .0 to 3.5% lead by weight dependant on std. used.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SX170 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks bt I will look for other alternatives.
Might as well get this thing 100% right as it has a long future ahead of it.

Cheers.
SX170

Postby Dominator » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:16 pm

I have used brass fot the drains in my boiler with intentions to replace it with stainless in the future.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:09 pm

I personally believe that as long as the brass is not in the direct vapour path then it poses no problem (I have used it in the vapour path as well and have yet to have any ill affects from it).

Yes it is a personal choice but I still believe that microwaving a meal on a plastic tray will be 10 times worse than anything we do :snooty:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby blond.chap » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:27 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:I personally believe that as long as the brass is not in the direct vapour path then it poses no problem (I have used it in the vapour path as well and have yet to have any ill affects from it).

Yes it is a personal choice but I still believe that microwaving a meal on a plastic tray will be 10 times worse than anything we do :snooty:

:text-+1:
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:30 am

with your seal ppl will say if its not in contact with the spirit its not an issue. Thing is that is not 100% true as the spirit will sweat and this will cause some contamination over time. you can used the seal by simply wrapping it in thread seal tape and the problem is solved easily and cheaply :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Safety Discussion