Pure still kits - plastic collection...?

Discuss safety issues here.

Pure still kits - plastic collection...?

Postby Irritable » Sun May 17, 2015 11:13 pm

A friend just purchased a pure still kit and it looks quite good.
He did his first run tonight and was achieving about 93% corrected with temp BUT given what I have read, what I know - I'd like people's opinion on the collection / filter set up.

With his kit, his 93-95% alc falls straight into a 10litre plastic bucket.
With in 2 hours of starting, he had 4.6 litres of 93-95% in a plastic bucket.
After another hour of calculations etc, he watered it down in the same container and then pulled the drain plug to filter into the second plastic container.

Should I be concerned for him and his family? I know these buckets would be food grade and when I bought it up, he got a little defensive, I'm just worried that such pure alc would be leaching/eating/vaporising the plastic at least a little but I don't think he'll take my concerns seriously - "if they sell it like that, it must be okay..."

On another note, the still itself works quite nicely, very easy to run, temps are held nicely, low water use, external element, a lot to like...

Cheers
Si.
Irritable

equipment: Super Reflux that aint so super but aint so reflux :)

Re: Pure still kits - plastic collection...?

Postby Irritable » Sun May 17, 2015 11:19 pm

This is the kit here.

https://www.google.com.au/search?client ... 7254912201

You can see the two collection buckets on top of each other. You collect in the top, then add your water to desired level, pull the "plug" and it all runs through a carbon filter into the bottom collection bucket.

I have an EZY filter which is also bloody plastic, but nothing higher that 45% ever touches it. Even then I hate putting alc into the plastic and longer term I will learn re proper cuts and minimise filtering. I am just not sure on 95 at temp, straight into a plastic bucket....

Si
Irritable

Postby WTDist » Sun May 17, 2015 11:31 pm

Use glass to collect only :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Timmsy » Sun May 17, 2015 11:45 pm

Glass or stainless mate your right

Get your mate to join up and have a read

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7248
Timmsy

equipment: Amateur distiller.
T500 reflux
2" pot still 1500mm high sitting on a 50ltr electric keg boiler
50ltr gatorade mash tun, 25ltr HLT

Postby Zaximus » Mon May 18, 2015 1:49 am

When I see what collected spirit does to the varnish on the table I've got my still on, it totallydestroys it, there's no way anyone can convince me to use anything but glass or stainless. Alcohol in general is a very strong solvent which is effective on a large variety of hydrocarbons. Given that the ingredients in many plastics are derivatives of hydrocarbons, you're setting yourself up for ingesting those dissolved chemicals over time. No thanks. Ignorance sometimes ain't bliss.... :handgestures-thumbdown: Your mate needs to invest some time exploring this forum or at least getting / taking on board some healthy advice.
Zaximus

equipment: Pot still with a thumper

Postby thedarkmesh » Mon May 18, 2015 5:58 am

Did he make sure to toss out the fores? Also a little worried it will taste like ass due to no separation of the head/hearts/tails. Toss the plastic, glass or stainless steel all the way.
thedarkmesh

equipment: Turbo Boiler + 5 Star 4" Modular Still

Postby Irritable » Mon May 18, 2015 8:47 am

Yes - the reccomendation video states 150ml is to be thrown out.

Your right - the entire run goes in together.

You also cannot take samples once the run starts - not easily...so IF the abv is dropping off, you dont know it. But that being said - the reasoning or theory behind this, is because the unit stipulates collection only, within a 2 degree window - 78 to 80, thus they believe you will not collect into the tails if you stop collecting prior to temps incresaing.

Ive told him about the plastic concerns - but his response is they wouldnt sell it if it wasnt safe...
Si
Irritable

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon May 18, 2015 8:52 am

Some people won't listen to safety advice like this because they don't want to admit that they have been duped by the HBS...

I suppose he doesn't believe that you can use tomato paste and bakers yeast to make vodka either?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Irritable » Mon May 18, 2015 9:07 am

This was his very first run with this unit - and he wanted to do it exactly(as to the letter, he would take any cuts just for the purpose of smelling or anything) as the HBS / Video had shown.
I can understand as a first run - but as you have said, seeing what 90%+ alc does to varnish and other products just shows how abrasive this stuff can be.

I get what he is saying - that the HBS shop wouldn't sell it if it was dangerous - but they really dont care, it's not meant to be "used" for alc - only water, so there is no liability.

He has young kids, a lovely partner, I just dont want them to start sprouting another eye or twisted finger... :)

I'll try and convince him again.
Si
Irritable

Postby WTDist » Mon May 18, 2015 9:28 am

Exsitable wrote:Ive told him about the plastic concerns - but his response is they wouldnt sell it if it wasnt safe...
Si

Also some people just cant be told. I know a guy and if he reads something or hears it on the radio, he will take it as if its a proven thing and its all factual. 8-}
It annoys the shit out of me, fad after fad :angry-banghead:
WTDist

Postby hillzabilly » Mon May 18, 2015 2:24 pm

Nearly 5lts at 92% from a 25lt boiler in 2hours ,sounds like turdbo, it would certainly need a bloody good filter to make it palatable.Do yours the right way and have a blind taste test with some mate's .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zaximus » Mon May 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Exsitable wrote:...but they really dont care, it's not meant to be "used" for alc - only water, so there is no liability.

Mate, I work as a professional in health and safety, a very 'legislated' field where avoidance of liability is a constant effort and you hit the mark on this statement!!! Any concerns raised with a HBS will be met with exactly what you said, which makes it even more worrisome to think of how many people are out there doing things in an unsafe and unhealthy way because of stupid, inappropriate or unsound advice. :shock:
Zaximus

Postby Irritable » Mon May 18, 2015 8:12 pm

And it gets worse...
Apparently this afternoon he went into a HBS to seek advice on oaking his neutral.
So, he now has a 12 litre plastic bucket with a lid, to age his spirits in. When I asked him why the hell - he said he had to be able to get the chunks in and out. I told him I could get chunks in and out of Demi's, and that's probably why the chips are the size they are...he then tells me has bought a heap of those but it's just easier in the bucket...FFS, I give up. I will not be drinking his offerings...maybe that will show him how serious I believe this. He really doesn't think it's a big deal - I said go into the bottle shop - tell me how many bottles with abv% are being sold that are plastic...

It's frustrating but I give up. He gunna do, what he gunna do...
Has definitely tainted my views on HBS.
Si.
Irritable

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon May 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Don't waste your breath on him... But definitely don't touch any of his spirits. I absolutely refuse to touch any hooch that has been in plastic, which is every other home distiller I know in town. They look at me pretty confused though...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Hawkeye » Mon May 18, 2015 10:13 pm

I could probably dig out my organic chem book and explain the reaction of CH3CH2OH plus a plastic polymer and the various nasties that would be produced...

But I don't need to. It's common knowledge here.

At some point, you decide you have done all you can and you make peace with the fact you tried.
Hawkeye

equipment: 4 inch, 4 bubble plate on a 50L keg with 500mm packed section.

Postby WTDist » Tue May 19, 2015 12:09 am

Hawkeye wrote:I could probably dig out my organic chem book and explain the reaction of CH3CH2OH plus a plastic polymer and the various nasties that would be produced...

But I don't need to. It's common knowledge here.

At some point, you decide you have done all you can and you make peace with the fact you tried.

:text-imwithstupid: :text-lol:
WTDist

Postby Irritable » Tue May 19, 2015 7:53 am

I studied Chemistry at College, my brain cells have been very used and abused for the 30 years since then, but I understand how the vapours / interaction can leech...and travel...and it gets very complicated.

I have several large jars 1200ml each that I collect in and some times mix in. I am slightly concerned about the tiny amount of sealing rubber that is used on the lids. I know the alc doesn't ever really come into contact with this - and if it does, it's only for a very short period, but it still a minor factor.

"At some point, you decide you have done all you can and you make peace with the fact you tried". - Amen!

Could not of put it better myself.

Cheers Si
Irritable

Postby Zaximus » Tue May 19, 2015 12:48 pm

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid", Benjamin Franklin

:ugeek:
Zaximus

Postby WTDist » Tue May 19, 2015 1:01 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

Postby HillsJester » Tue May 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Bro was doing first run with the awesome pot still head from MoonshineMatt, everything was great apart from the plastic funnel he had into his collection jars....
"get that shit out of the way"

Thankfully he listened.

No more plastic
HillsJester

equipment: 50 ltr keg boiler and FSD SS pot still

Next

Return to Safety Discussion