Port Barrel

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Port Barrel

Postby Handyandy180 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi all
I have just bought my first barrel which still had aged port inside it (four and a half bottles). I have emptied the port for drinking and OMG what a drop it is! When you swirl the port around a glass it literally sticks to the side of the glass, it pours like a thick liquor. Although its quaffable i find it a tad to heavy for my taste and mix with a glass with a cheap Rose. Very nice indeed.
I digress so the question is would a cognac age in my now empty barrel? I was thinking of putting a glass of the port back in the barrel and topping up with my air stilled Vodka and a Classic VSOP essence till once again full.
Anybody tried this before or know what the outcome would be overtime? Any idea how long i should leave it in the barrel to age if indeed it will age?
Cheers
Handyandy180

equipment: Air still mini

Re: Port Barrel

Postby The Stig » Thu May 02, 2019 6:00 pm

I’ll take a bottle of that port :happy-partydance:
Sounds YUMMY
Sorry, can’t help with the cognac question :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Triangle » Thu May 02, 2019 6:35 pm

Fortified aged well (as in left alone and in a dry/warm place) at home in barrels is so underestimated. Better than some big $$$ ports.

No help at all here either :))
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu May 02, 2019 7:16 pm

Mate has an almost empty 10l port that has port syrup in bottom (I’m gunna drink what’s left) an I’m gunna do a mash outa malted wheat, wheat, oats and some malted barley. Use up leftover grain as I think the port flavour will dominate. Dunno how vsop will go in it, only 1 way to find out :handgestures-thumbupleft: leave it for couple months then taste occasionally to see how it’s going
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Motorbikefuel » Thu May 07, 2020 12:12 am

Hey team, I'm about to travel the road old mate asked about. Any further info about the process and the results etc...
Motorbikefuel

equipment: Turbo 500... Making my own... Bigger n faster!

Postby Sam. » Thu May 07, 2020 10:46 am

Time will depend on size of barrel and climate, need more info
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby PeterC » Thu May 07, 2020 2:10 pm

Handyandy180 wrote:Hi all
I was thinking of putting a glass of the port back in the barrel and topping up with my air stilled Vodka and a Classic VSOP essence till once again full.
Anybody tried this before or know what the outcome would be overtime? Any idea how long i should leave it in the barrel to age if indeed it will age?
Cheers

I would not add essence at the start. I would just put the spirit in the barrel and check now and then. If you finally want to drink it and you don't like the taste, then add essence.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Return to Oaking and Aging