Replacing the angels share

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Replacing the angels share

Postby Hambone » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:50 am

I live in the tropics which is of course hot and humid 24 x 7. I acquired several new french oak 5l barrels and decided to give whiskey a go for the first time. I've since filled 2 barrels, the first on Feb 1 and the second Feb 15. I soaked the barrels in RO water for a day on the advice that this process would help saturate the wood as well as provide a swelling to stop potential leaks. The new barrels are nicely waxed with polymer screw seals and do not leak.

After 1 month the first barrel is sloshing quite a bit and I'd estimate maybe 5-10% has been already drunk by the angels and the second barrel, less so but appears to be behaving in much the same way.

I am aware that in humid environments alcohol should evaporate faster than in dry and water will evaporate faster in dry climates, but I have both warm and humid conditions.

Much of what I read suggests just leave it alone till bottling time but I fear that the angels may drink the entire contents within a year if this rate continues. Now I don't know if this is a new barrel thing and it will stabilise or its just a what happens with such a small barrel and the climate, but I'd like some advice on whether I should;

1) leave it alone till I figure oak is sufficient by taste, then dilute to drinking and bottle;
2) top off with the run's hearts diluted to cask strength or
3) top off with RO water

Would appreciate any guidance.
Hambone

equipment: 65l digiboil plus pot and reflux heads
amphora PDA-1 plus extension

Re: Replacing the angels share

Postby lest1 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:46 pm

Hey mate

i was looking at a few small barrels like you have acquired

the angel share loss is very common as well as overoaking especially up north

I decided to go kegs and dominoes

but do some reading on here and homedistiller and these may not be what you want
lest1
Site Donor

equipment: 4" 4 plate 50L 3kw
220l fermenter

Postby RC Al » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:29 am

Bit of a catch 22, if stuff doesn't move through the wood, nothing happens.

As the barrel empties you get even more head room and faster evaporation.

I would be monitoring them every 2-3 weeks or so and a little top up. Use scales if you want to work out loss easily.

Im thinking ill have similar issues, various plans have included digging a tiny cellar to an environment controlled fridge like you would set up for meats n cheese (now theres some overkill lols).
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:33 pm

Well to be honest when I take 50mm cuts and let them air under a paper towel for 2 days I do find I can lose 5mm to the angels :scared-eek:

Now some context the reason for airing the spirit beforehand is to let all those nasties that came thru the still to evaporate as we didn't want to drink them anyway :scared-eek:

Now in a warmer climate where the temp is higher of course the angels will get thirsty :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Oaking and Aging