Aging Rum

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Aging Rum

Postby MacStill » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Ask gas on how he ages his, I'm sure he'll share his quick ageing process :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:23 pm

I did a bottle with oak chips I'd used previously foe 70% mcrum and it was so beautiful!! Aged about a3 weeks. Is there a good formular for how many grams of chips per ml of a certain %?.
googe

Postby Hagrid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi all
I have been keeping my rum in a 20lt port barrel and it was okay for the first month but now it is getting an edge to it.
Should I keep it in the barrel and it mellows out after a while. I have had 18 yr old rum it was very smooth and this is only 6mths old or should I move it to glass. Also does it continue to improve even in glass or is that as good as it gets.
Thanks
Hagrid
Hagrid

equipment: Hand made pot.
VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Aging Rum

Postby Sam. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Your rum will start to taste like port of you leave it in that barrel
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:39 pm

@ Higrid
well a whole lot of imfo to go on there :)) was the barrel previously filled with port it might be pulling some of that devils cut out of the wood the heavy oak just might not be to your taste what strength are you aging at, it might get sharper or smoother, if its a brand new barrel it might be pulling tanins out faster than other esters and will even out over time, or not. Its very hard to do more than wild guess even if I was to see the barrel and the timber grain and know its back ground it would only be an educated guess. If you do leave it in and it is over oaked for your taste at the time you wish to comsume it you can blend it with un oaked rum ;-)
Edit posted same time as S&L
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Hagrid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.
The barrel is about 20yrs old I got in SA for port. When I started on this rum caper I told SWMBO I needed a oak barrel and of course I was told I have one. I drained the port into a drum and have been adding rum to the barrel.
It started off with a porty taste and I must say it was not to bad. But as it has stayed longer I am not sure about the taste.
I like it with ice and i know that is what is meant to count however when I give it to mates they are not rum drinkers you would think I gave them draino. My palate is crap I drink so I am always concerned about what I need to do to make it better. Before I started making I used to drink Appleton 12yr old and I am trying to match it.
Any advise listened to.
Hagrid

VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Postby crow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Ok well yes devils cut bud take it out :)) . As S&L said leave it and it will get more and more porty . next time you fill it with rum this will happen a lot less as the rum in it now has already pulled a heap of the port wine out, nuffin wrong with rum port I've be know to buy it ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Hagrid wrote:I like it with ice and i know that is what is meant to count however when I give it to mates they are not rum drinkers you would think I gave them draino.

The barrel will be changing things flavor wise.
But the draino taste could be the yeast you're using, how you cut it, how you air it, and how you blend it. Not likley to be coming from the port, but not knowing the barrel, not sure.

The more times you fill your barrel, the longer you have to leave it each time. You can get them re-worked by a good cooper, they flip the head out, shave the staves, charr if required, then seal it back up. Or they can do a "full rebuild" if you like, taking it right apart, maybe new staves or headboards.
emptyglass

Postby Hagrid » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks for the replys.
Might try using demijohns next to see how it goes.
When it is done and you take the oak out does it continue to get better in the bottle.
Thanks again
Hagrid

VM 3"
4"Mac SSG

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Hagrid wrote:Thanks for the replys.
Might try using demijohns next to see how it goes.
When it is done and you take the oak out does it continue to get better in the bottle.
Thanks again

I think it does for a little while ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby hubs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm

I`ve seen French, American and Rum oak, Bourbon, Scotch chips etc. Can you use any oak to soak in Rum? Has any one tried oak chips that have been in other flavoured alcohol and soaked them into Rum over a period of time? Has anyone heard of Rum Port and how do you go about in making it and or is it as simple as filling an oak barrel with port for x amount of time before Rum being put into the barrel? I know it sounds daft in asking, but it might be a short cut before attempting.
hubs

Postby Brendan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Hey Mac or other rumheads,

Over the years, have you experimented with ageing rum at various ABV strengths?

From the reading I've done, most commercial rum producers seem to mature rum at 70-80%, commonly above 75%. On the other hand, I have seen home distillers maturing at the standard 65% used for whiskies.

Have also read ageing notes along the lines of, higher ABV draws out more tannins etc...

Interested in any feedback or results :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Yeah I've tried various ABV's but always went back to around 65%

Then someone posted graph from somewhere (the dominoes mob suber leffort ? ) that made everything click, at 65% you'll be getting more desirable vanilla flavours etc.

Hopefully someone can find the attachment and repost it here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks Mac, 65% it is :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I know the toasting graph, but not sure i've seen an ageing strength one.

I had a theory that 'traditionally' rum was produced by a lot of poorer countries (excluding the UK) reusing old barrels, and a higher ABV allowed them to get more stock from the amount of volume in the barrels etc.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby huggy_b » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:10 pm

My understanding (although fairly limited) is that at higher proofs it tends to draw out more tannins and less of the vanillas notes. 65% is consider the 'sweet spot" that's a trade off between extracting the vanilla notes and tannins as a balanced mix.

But as we know, these commercial rums fudge theirs with caramels to get some sweetness and colour etc.
huggy_b

equipment: 4" glasser (5 plates)

Postby StillBornLiqour » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Just wondering live 15 mins from Bundy distillery anyone have a guess approximately how many litres rum sold per annum tried google but nothing interesting trying to get a rough calculation of of how much would have to be stored to achieve there annual sales and 2 year ageing tried a wild guess but it seemed rather wrong for what I have seen
StillBornLiqour

equipment: ss super reflux, 2inch pot on 50litre gas keg

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Lots.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:50 am

Wouldn't be as big as a lot of overseas outfits though, do they even export bundy? Surely no one else drinks that shit :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby coffe addict » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Bundy rum holds approx 10 million liters of molasses. Approx 100 million liters was getting shipped to Sydney in tankers just for premix cans. They have 13 bond stores with approx 20 vats at an average of 70,000 liters to a vat. Very approx 18,200000 liters.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby brad81 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:39 pm

I just had my first taste after a week of sitting on French Oak chips, and wow, it's good already. Strong scent of the tails, but very tasty already. If you are all saying wait a month or two, I'm really looking forward to how this is going to turn out. Beautiful dark colour developed already.

So aging a MacRum at 65% on 12.5gm/L of French Oak chips that I doubled wrapped and baked at 200deg for 30mins, no char.
brad81

equipment: 2in Pot Still on a keg boiler, voltage reg, and 44gal drum for cooling

PreviousNext

Return to Oaking and Aging