Many of us have oak dominoes on the way - can we talk usage?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Re: Many of us have oak dominoes on the way - can we talk us

Postby forefold » Sun May 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Anymore info on these said alcohol safe containers ....:???:

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
forefold

equipment: BOKA - 50ltr keg, 3200w element, 2.5 " column

Postby emptyglass » Sun May 19, 2013 11:35 pm

I got given a handful of these on sat night (thanks VS boost :handgestures-thumbupleft: )
I'm thinking one domino per litre might work ok, might take a while though. Well thats what I'm going to try first up.
May 2 or 3 pre litre for some distress aging.
A little for longer usually works better, I guess it works the same for these too.
emptyglass

Postby Valoren » Mon May 20, 2013 2:03 pm

So one domino per 2 L flagon at 65 percent is a good rough guide? Will it still age okay on 42 percent?
Valoren

equipment: copper still head, reflux, 50 l stainless keg boiler, 2200 watt element.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon May 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Valoren wrote:So one domino per 2 L flagon at 65 percent is a good rough guide? Will it still age okay on 42 percent?

I'm going one per 2L with some experimentation of another half. After three weeks I'm stepping the oak down by half in everything.

Did you not see blond.chap's post on the strength experiments from HD? It's on page one of this thread and it has a good summary of the ageing strengths and tastes:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3569#p57919

From what I can see that's very low for oaking. Might not be the end of the world, might just mean waiting longer. 42% might not be strong enough to pull the goodies out of your domino but I'll leave that to others who've done it. I'm sticking to 65% for consistency.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Nardy » Sat May 25, 2013 5:35 pm

I missed the bulk buy, damn. Anyone care to tell me where I can buy some? Or would any of you that have some care to sell some to me?
Nardy

Postby tribaljimmy » Sun May 26, 2013 9:41 pm

What size are these dominoes guys?
tribaljimmy

equipment: BTE still

Previous

Return to Oaking and Aging