Bizarre oaking theory

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Bizarre oaking theory

Postby cap73n » Wed May 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Ok so I have a strange left field idea id like peoples opinions on.

So when making whiskey, the spirit can be aged at lets say 65% alcohol for a few years in a barrel and is then removed when ready, watered down to 40% and then bottled for consumption. By dilluting, it is possible to lose some of the delicious flavour it has acquired. So to get around this people either age it for a little longer or they start the aging process at a lower percentage (thus not having to water it down). Or plain just dont water it down :D.

What I was wondering is: what would happen if after aging your whiskey at say 65% you chucked it into your still. Then you distill off a small percentage of the alcohol. Thus leaving behind a lower percentage stronger flavored whiskey in the still. And then you have a couple of options for the collected spirit ie.put in a barrel to add to the next batch or use for a neutral spirit etc

I also thought this method might reduce aging time.
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Re: Bizarre oaking theory

Postby JayD » Wed May 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Whisky is barrelled at65% then aged, distilling it further, I think would defeat the original purpose unless you did not like the end product...after it has aged to your taste forget the next bloke as this is about your tastes water it down to 40% with the best water you can find and enjoy...imo. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby cap73n » Wed May 15, 2013 2:44 pm

JayD wrote:Whisky is barrelled at65% then aged, distilling it further, I think would defeat the original purpose unless you did not like the end product...after it has aged to your taste forget the next bloke as this is about your tastes water it down to 40% with the best water you can find and enjoy...imo. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
J

Yes, but Im saying you keep the liquid that is still in the bottom of your still. Which would still have all the flavour. It would just be at a lower percentage as you have evaporated some of the alcohol out, instead of adding water.
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Postby unsub » Wed May 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Depending on what set up you have, what is left in the boiler will probably taste like arse.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby DaveZ » Wed May 15, 2013 3:02 pm

And having a boiler full of 65%+ ethanol isn't a real good practice from a safety perspective ;)
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby blond.chap » Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm

It's an interesting idea, I think can think of 2 problems:
1. Stored spirits on oak have several slow moving reactions going on, which form different compounds. If you heat these compounds up to boiling point, additional reactions will take place changing the flavour. This includes potentially scorching some components
2. The flavour of whisky is made up of some components that are more volatile than ethanol, and some that are less volatile. By re-distilling the mix, you'll be removing more of the "more volatile" components, but concentrating the less volatile components. This will also change the flavour.

You could certainly give it a shot even with these issues, I don't think it will taste like normal whisky, but it might turn out to be something else good.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby cap73n » Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm

blond.chap wrote:It's an interesting idea, I think can think of 2 problems:
1. Stored spirits on oak have several slow moving reactions going on, which form different compounds. If you heat these compounds up to boiling point, additional reactions will take place changing the flavour. This includes potentially scorching some components
2. The flavour of whisky is made up of some components that are more volatile than ethanol, and some that are less volatile. By re-distilling the mix, you'll be removing more of the "more volatile" components, but concentrating the less volatile components. This will also change the flavour.

You could certainly give it a shot even with these issues, I don't think it will taste like normal whisky, but it might turn out to be something else good.

Yes very good points, that was my main concern, that the heat would cause a strange reaction. It would have to be tried to see what would happen I guess. Its just a thought that popped into my head. "Why dilute the flavours by adding water, why not try and concentrate the flavours by taking some ethanol out"
cap73n

Postby bt1 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:24 pm

kk so heres my 2 cents worth

The boiler is going to have to be way hotter than ethanol boils so you basically either drive it back through the still or remnants are denatured by higher temp.

Commercials rarely age at 65 like we do. We settle on that cos it's the best balance between timber sugar, tannins, colour etc.

They generally age higher or lower depending on the still's hearts/tails profile...they chase max yield. Additionally they tailor the aged product to suit the known outcome for tastes at bottling strenght...this is not left to chance they have years of cumulative experience and well know what their inputs have to be to produce a known, repeatable product year after year.
Tullimore Dew say 2yrs old tastes identical to a fresh bought bottle after the initial day or two of oxidation. same applies to most expect single barrel specials or small batch top enders.

I doubt we could achieve that level of consistency in the same batch, let alone year on year.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SBB » Wed May 15, 2013 5:45 pm

In theory its not a bad idea, will it work, I doubt it. As DaveZ mentioned a boiler full of 65% aint a good idea to begin with.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Oaking and Aging