Aeration

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 am

Great idea bt - I know blond.chap is working on a series of distilling calculators now and this would be an excellent addition if we can agree on the formula.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Aeration

Postby 1 2many » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:49 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Sam did that test on some seals and yeah not good at all.

I soaked my food grade 5mm silicon in some 90% heads for 2 days and there's no sign of leaching.

As I'm aging at 65% and the silicon tube will never actually contact the liquid as its suspended with the airstone sitting just under the spirit I'm thinking its all good:-)

I would have thought BB that placing the stone at the bottom would give better results , but just don't feel good about long term silicon soaking. :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Yeah I'm with you 1 2, reckon it wouldn't be too hard to sort a copper tube adapter... or as mentioned the keg spear & SS slip joint for the air stone.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:59 pm

I'll investigate a permanent copper solution I reckon.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby 1 2many » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:08 pm

I recon after distilling i will go with a ssteel tube 5-6 mm to the bottom with 90 deg angle or side exit from tube :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby greenguy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:10 pm

got me some 6mm ss tube today just goat figure out how many and how big holes i put in there
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby gavogr » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:13 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
1 2many wrote:Seems as if CraftBrewer is out of stock already :)) :))
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3857

They are twice the price of ESB Brewing. But ESB brewing are pretty slow to deliver. Your call but you could buy 2 from ESB for the same price...

i ordered two from ESB they were delivered in three days to Adelaide.
gavogr

equipment: Modified 30 lt SS reflux still with a 1.2m Copper Head and DIY Heat control box.

Postby Canadoz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:16 pm

A feasible alternative to an Expensive SS airstone:

Limewood Airstones, can be drilled, and fitted directly to copper or steel tubing.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130851942796 ... 0851942796

Also available at most aquarium stores.
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:38 pm

1 2many wrote:

I soaked my food grade 5mm silicon in some 90% heads for 2 days and there's no sign of leaching.

As I'm aging at 65% and the silicon tube will never actually contact the liquid as its suspended with the airstone sitting just under the spirit I'm thinking its all good:-)

I would have thought BB that placing the stone at the bottom would give better results , but just don't feel good about long term silicon soaking. :-B

That test and the pics were with a seal of unknown composition. Would definitely be worth doing it with a proper food grade silicon seal :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Do you loose much spirit to evaporation when aerating for a number of days/ weeks?
I know when I've left my cuts jars out for a day longer, there is much less in them.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SX170 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:15 am

What about using a big s/s pot with a glass lid? I have some 10 litre ones I bought at Kmart to make sauce in on the bbq wok burner.
You could coil up some 1/4" copper tube in the bottom with lots of small holes and chuck the dominoes on top.
That way the bubbles would agitate the Dominoes for better oaking.
Just a thought.............hmmmmmmmm might try it.

Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SX170

equipment: Home built bubbler.

Postby bt1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:40 am

Hello all,

yeh reckon the copper tube is far safer or the keg spear..simple cheap effective.

Kimbo can't say yet the 5lt one only been aerating for 8 days haven't noticed it much and it still cold here...know loss would be higher in summer...might say something about when we do aeration perhaps.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:41 am

sam_and_liv wrote:
1 2many wrote:

That test and the pics were with a seal of unknown composition. Would definitely be worth doing it with a proper food grade silicon seal :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah my tube is food grade silicon, and I did the soak test for 2 days in 90+% neutral. No sign of anything coming off it and no smell. And I won't be soaking the silicon in the 65%, it would be suspended above it, with the air stone sitting just below the surface.

...but still I'm a bit paranoid.

I'd like to see some pix of other folks set ups.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby r.c.barstud » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:54 am

SX170 wrote:What about using a big s/s pot with a glass lid? I have some 10 litre ones I bought at Kmart to make sauce in on the bbq wok burner.
You could coil up some 1/4" copper tube in the bottom with lots of small holes and chuck the dominoes on top.
That way the bubbles would agitate the Dominoes for better oaking.
Just a thought.............hmmmmmmmm might try it.

Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles :-D the smaller the bubbles the better, just the same as a thumper. more smaller bubbles will add more surface area and agitation as compared to larger bubbles, trust me, it works a LOT better, it works even better if you add a pump to circulate the aerated spirit around :handgestures-thumbupleft:
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:Yeah my tube is food grade silicon, and I did the soak test for 2 days in 90+% neutral. No sign of anything coming off it and no smell. And I won't be soaking the silicon in the 65%, it would be suspended above it, with the air stone sitting just below the surface.

...but still I'm a bit paranoid.

I'd like to see some pix of other folks set ups.

I would be more than happy to use that hose after that :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If nothing leached out after 2 days I reckon you are well and truly in the clear ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby 1 2many » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Kimbo wrote:Do you loose much spirit to evaporation when aerating for a number of days/ weeks?
I know when I've left my cuts jars out for a day longer, there is much less in them.

Yeah Kimbo I was thinking the same , the angels share would surely have to increase a fair bit i would think , and i wonder if the quality as in temp and humidity has much effect on the" Angles cut" . Say you had hot humid air bubbling threw your spirit don't you think it would evaporate a LOT faster. :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby the Doctor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Yes aeration significantly increases the angels share as you say. But the whole idea of ageing is to reduce and remove any remaining congeners as much as to add the effects of the oak. The angels share is also a way of saying the ethanol which removes the easily evaporated congeners especially those from the smearing of heads. So although the loss to the angels share is significant, the benefits should be remembered. It will improve your spirits.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby 1 2many » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Great perspective Doc I like it . I can go with that. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Aeration

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Anyone had any problems with blocked air stones? Tried out two I got from ESB brewing and both are fucked. Can't move air let alone a spirit.

These are both brand new and the pump is fine, but when I put these on the tubing not so much as a bubble:-(

I've scrubbed 'em, vinegar soaked 'em, dried 'em out and tried blowing through 'em but both are cactus by the look of it.

Pretty disappointed. Anyone got a brand they recommend? These are going back to ESB I reckon.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby the Doctor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:33 pm

BB I regularly soak mine in Sodium Percarbonate. another trick is to put a few drops of Azeotrope into the line then turn on the pump to force the AZ through the pores. If you are using the .5 micron ones they are a bit fine for what we are doing, I tend to go with the 2 micron ones by preference. The finer ones I only use for nitrogen charging, porters and stouts. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

PreviousNext

Return to Oaking and Aging