White oak ageing barrel

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

White oak ageing barrel

Postby Furynfear » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 pm

Was wondering were the best and cheapest place to buy an ageing barrel for the fine scotch whisky recipe.

Next question is for a 25l batch how much would I be easier expecting in my potstill of alcohol. Just a guestamit.

Also another question is if I just use a glass carboy with oak chips in it can I get the same effect. And I think I read somewhere that when u use oak chips u can't keep them in for to long. Is that right or can u use oak chips for relatively a long time.

Thanks for your help. If there is a link for this please post it up.
Furynfear

equipment: T500. + python pot still + copper made reflux Still

Re: White oak ageing barrel

Postby bt1 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:28 pm

Wow full on this post...let's step through it
Was wondering were the best and cheapest place to buy an ageing barrel for the fine scotch whisky recipe.

Most scotches are aged in pre used ex sherry (sharper) or bourbon (wider more flat tasting if you like) barrels . A new one is going to need seasoning, charring to your preference and ... time.

Might want to consider using timber strips some result.. well almost and far cheaper and easier.

I use strips not chips it's about surface area, end grain exposure and taste... yes you can over oak a whisky.... chips can dump plenty of colour and flavour quickly hence the reason use strips it's much slower and you got time to catch it i.e. remove strips to suit your taste preference.

Rough rule for mine... 2 strips per 5lt in glass for first months test/taste... re check each month remove 1 timber strip for long term.
The timber is the key and takes time to understand don't forget 80% of flavour is coming from timbering/ageing. You need to taste and get comfortable with what you like.

I personally only leave the mid toasted for long term ...char for me is a colour initial kick and that it...unless it's a Rye and I know it going to take 1 - 2 years.

Next question is for a 25l batch how much would I be easier expecting in my potstill of alcohol. Just a guestamit.

From a 25lt run, sprit run i.e watered down pre stripped i'd be looking for 6 lt plus as a roughy hard to guess depends on cuts/ still and to be honest I can't recall perfectly been a while since I did a pot still second spirit run.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Wed May 07, 2014 10:33 pm

Furynfear wrote:Was wondering were the best and cheapest place to buy an ageing barrel for the fine scotch whisky recipe.

not the cheapest but roll out the barrel certainly fits the 1st part of your criteria ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Furynfear » Thu May 08, 2014 6:11 pm

Were do u by the strips from. None of the shops Sydney's west have white oak. They called it something else

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Furynfear

Postby SBB » Thu May 08, 2014 6:17 pm

To make sticks/ strips you need to find or buy some old barrel staves, or alternately buy some American or french oak.
You then split this into pieces approximately 6 inches x 1/2 inch 1/2 inch. Toast or char these to your own specs.
As far as I know White Oak only means it hasn't been toasted or charred.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Furynfear » Thu May 08, 2014 7:27 pm

What do u mean by toasted or char to my specs. Don't have none lol

What do I need to do. They said they store American and French. I didn't know which one to pick

Furynfear

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu May 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Just my 2 cents here but if you don't know what kind of barrel you "need" chances are you don't need a barrel at all ;-)
At least you're not ready for one, you have plenty of other options readily available and more affordable to the beginner.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby SBB » Thu May 08, 2014 8:03 pm

Fury here is a link that you can use to find all sorts of information that is stored on this forum. I'm not sure that a lot of people find this function or are even aware of it. Mac made it ages ago so that people could find various topics on the forum
Google forum search
Type what you want into it and it will give you the answers, I have set it for you all ready at "Toasting oak" Type what you want into it, "toasting oak" , Charring oak" , "Oaking whisky" , "Oaking Rum".....in short what ever you need to know.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Furynfear » Thu May 08, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm about start with some oak chips. I did a tpw with some essence. I want to enhance it but when I do the fine scotch whisky I wanna go for max flavour

Furynfear

Return to Oaking and Aging