How long can i go?

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

How long can i go?

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:14 pm

So, I'm currently sitting in the maternity ward. Wife's in labour, i'm Bored AF. She's sleeping, so i'm reading. First child.
I was thinking, i've got 50l of McWhiskey wash in the shed at home. How cool would it be if i ran it within a week, and in 18 years time, i gave my son/daughter a bottle of 18yo mcwhiskey for their 18th birthday? I'm thinking to avoid over oaking, only use about 2g/l or something like that? What are your thoughts?
I thought I might make a bit of a custom bottle for it too, made of 3" stainless pipe. A length about 220mm long would give me 1L bottle. Then get a piece laser cut out to weld to the front in place of a label....
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Re: How long can i go?

Postby shauno » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:30 pm

Might as well. Why not. Just keep some aside for you to test as well as it ages to make sure its ok.
shauno

equipment: Interesting stuff

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:55 pm

lol you think your bord now, my 3rd was in labour from 24 weeks to 36 weeks, thats on the edge and boring :))

On another note, gongrats man. Yea man, that would be an awesome 18th drink, Go for it, make good cuts and use little oak if going for 18 years, maybe even 5g/l, never aged for that long :)) . I would add some early tails, maybea touch more?? :think: as 18 years the tails will definitely estify or whatever it does and taste nice i bet, mature and smooth out?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby EziTasting » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Congrats mate,

My old an made me a Schnaps the way his grandfather did and he gave it to me on my 18th!
Wicked feeling - hard part was fighting off my mates that all wanted to have a go!

11 months later some turd broke into my house and stole it along with all of my other 'special' and untouched grog :angry-banghead:

Tell ya wot, had I caught them or seen them and caught them later, I would have forgotten my Christian upbringing and 'laid hands on them' all day long! Probably some boots as well; and a couple of ax-handles, my Rottweiler and anything else the would have released the extreme emotional state I was in... :teasing-nutkick:
Bit wimpy, but the only applicable emoticon here...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Sounds like an awesome idea. Will make an awesome present. But if your aging for 18y you might as well make it worthwile and make a 2l bottle :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby shauno » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Make a 2L or 5L oak barrel. Does it stay in the barrel ok that long?
shauno

equipment: Interesting stuff

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Congratulations, I was there 5 months ago. Ive got 5L Single Malt on 1 domino with a natural cork stopper from the week after my Son was born for his 18th. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby bluess57 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:06 pm

shauno wrote:Make a 2L or 5L oak barrel. Does it stay in the barrel ok that long?

Personally I wouldn't go less than a 20L barrel if going for 18 years
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:11 pm

Congrats mate, best part of your life coming, and the worst. Just remember when she's bat shit crazy from being over tired and losing all personal space, just say "yes dear" .
I don't know enough about oaking but even if you take it off oak early, if you can save a special bottle for their 18th that's a great gift.
Best of luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Swedish Pride » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Congrats man, you're life is to change and you will not believe that it's takes 30 min to get ready to leave the house :laughing-rolling:

for my last kid I mashed in on the day he was born, have about 3 liters in a gallon jug awaiting for his 18th birthday, only 17y and 2 weeks to go... :)
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:40 pm

shauno wrote:Make a 2L or 5L oak barrel. Does it stay in the barrel ok that long?

THink those barrels would be to small to oak for that long I think it would be oak soup at the end. Think a domino in a 2l-4l bottle/stainless vessel would be way to go.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby maddogpearse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks very much guys! It's pretty exciting!

bluess57 wrote:

Yeah I've visited distilleries who oak for 2 years in a 20l so I reckon you'd need about 500l to sit it there that long.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby EziTasting » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:06 pm

This has been bubbling away in the back of my mind...

I guess, we'd need to get (calculate) the surface area to volume ration of the different barrels that are being used by professional distillers. From that you can extrapolate the domino to spirit ratio... This should be more specific than guessing (I'm curious myself - I don't mean that as a judgement!)...

This would then be further confused by what the distillers do once their product is in the barrels.
EziTasting

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:12 pm

EziTasting wrote:This has been bubbling away in the back of my mind...

I guess, we'd need to get (calculate) the surface area to volume ration of the different barrels that are being used by professional distillers. From that you can extrapolate the domino to spirit ratio... This should be more specific than guessing (I'm curious myself - I don't mean that as a judgement!)...

This would then be further confused by what the distillers do once their product is in the barrels.

to add to this i would say something in a barrel for 18 years might have a fair amount of tails to clean up, or not but i do know alot of distilleries add in late heads for flavour and this is the angels share that evaporates over time, so there is the angels share to think about too
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:14 pm

I have seen something relating to length of time in the barrel in relation size, pretty sure it was on this forum and that it had surface areas of the barrels. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Found it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TasSpirits

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:05 pm

bluess57 wrote:

200L barrel would be closer.

But yeah a 5L Demi would be the go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Ive gone 3 1/2 years in a demi before, once you think its as good as its going to get, pull the oak and bottle it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Sam. wrote:
bluess57 wrote:

200L barrel would be closer.

But yeah a 5L Demi would be the go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: I'd go a 5l Demi too
Congrats as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby EziTasting » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:58 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I have seen something relating to length of time in the barrel in relation size, pretty sure it was on this forum and that it had surface areas of the barrels. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Found it.

Ive been looking over this and thinking, thinking, thinking (occasionally I stop and list for this stage sound... :laughing-rolling: ) anyway; Ive been looking at the table of a 1L barrel to figure out how to simulate the alcohol vol to wood ratio and this is what I got to:
1.) if we consider that each domino is about 10mmx20mm (WxH) that would give us 200mm2...
2.)Convert the 206mm2 to mm ~ 132903mm2;
3.) if we now divide that by the domino sqmm to get an approx.. length - 132903/200 = 664.515mm;
4.) if we now consider that they average 10cm (100mm) that means we need around 6.65 dominoes;
5.) if we find the average weight of these (I haven't done this as yet but mine have been approx. 16gm +- 2 gm) that would equal 106.4gms of wood (6.65*16)... in 1 Litre for 38 months to achieve 20 year maturity ... :techie-typing:

does that seem right to anyone else or did I over complicate this ... ? :-B

Must have been bored today... :ugeek:
EziTasting

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:16 pm

Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Next

Return to Oaking and Aging