Sour apple

All flavoring discussions go here.

Sour apple

Postby Dusty_ben » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:07 pm

So I've just found this lil beauty. 15%abv. Taste like sour warhead lollies I had as a kid. Very keen to try and replicate this. First time trying flavouring neutral with anything other than essences.
Was thinking soaking some good neutral in warheads till there disolved then filtering through a coffee filter. Think this will work?Image
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Re: Sour apple

Postby C2H6O » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:47 am

Sounds interesting, i had a bit of a google and there are a few people out there doing this (couple of vids on youtube too). Think your best bet is to cut the warheads up nice and small trying not to lose to much of the outside layer.
You could also try to replicate using the base flavours, i think the main sour flavour from warheads comes from malic acid, they also use citric and absorbic acid but the real bite comes from the malic acid.

Good look
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Whita » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:42 pm

Nothing like bringing back a post from 7+ years ago.

Dusty Ben I see you haven't been active for a number of years but I would be keen to know if you did this and how successful you were.

I am thinking of having a crack at this soon so if anyone has attempted in the past.

My first attempt I am going to use citric acid and then maybe malic acid after that if I can't get it quite right. I don't want the full warhead taste but do want a hit of sour. Any advice is welcomed as I am very much a newbie.
Whita

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby The Stig » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:03 pm

Hey Whita, how about dropping into the welcome centre and saying g’day.
It’s only polite :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Flavoring