Sweet Corn Bourbon/Whiskey

All flavoring discussions go here.

Sweet Corn Bourbon/Whiskey

Postby Arismac » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:07 pm

My little back yard produced a very good crop of maize (sweet corn) late last year and I have since soaked some of the freshly picked cobs in my improved T500 spirit. Have only got a very small taste so far but it shows a lot of promise. I will even share with my "local tasters" in a month or two.

Has anyone else tried this and perhaps they can offer suggestions and wisdom?
Arismac

equipment: none left

Re: Sweet Corn Bourbon/Whiskey

Postby ultra » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:11 pm

Use Korn Flakes.....works a treat!
ultra

equipment: yet to buy.....was using a German made 35ltr reflux still.....but moved countries.

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:23 pm

ultra wrote:Use Korn Flakes.....works a treat!

Reckon they may be a bit heavy.... :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby RC Al » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:57 pm

Recomended as a good sorce of daily vitamin and metal requirements
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby ultra » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:26 am

ultra wrote:Use Korn Flakes.....works a treat!

I have only used a reflux type system so a corn flakes sugar wash worked well.....lower yeild than the turbo stuff but much healthier I believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ultra

equipment: yet to buy.....was using a German made 35ltr reflux still.....but moved countries.

Postby RC Al » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:48 am

My sweet mash corn (uj minus the backset) was pretty grassy tasting for the first few gens, i dare say thats what your going to get crossed with a can of creamed corn
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Best corn to use would not be sweet corn or dent corn but corn with more flavour but they do not grow these old varieties because the new corn varieties produce a bigger crop and the problem with corn is cross pollination and if plant will cross with the sweet corn or dent corn. Bloody Butcher Corn seems to be one they are using in the U.S. but can only find very expensive seed in Australia and do not think can import corn seed.
If anyone is in a hot dry sunny remote area with plenty of irrigation then probably a market growing seed to replant.
wynnum1

Postby bluc » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:17 pm

Grassy in young corn and malt whiskey is a good sign imo and always fades in my experience so far. Not sure what Produces that particular flavour but seems to produce a bolder tasting finished product.. :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Well the batch of CFW I did where I only aged it for 12 months is going to be used in my sac run on my new little still after the vinegar run. I did use some of that CFW to do that moss trial and it's finally starting to make the stuff drinkable.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:49 pm

Hard core when u use 12mnth old corn whiskey to clean your still :shock:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:55 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:Well the batch of CFW I did where I only aged it for 12 months is going to be used in my sac run on my new little still after the vinegar run. I did use some of that CFW to do that moss trial and it's finally starting to make the stuff drinkable.

Damm Brian you need to collect more heads, if you lived closer I would offer you some nice new 80% heads for your crappy old aged corn whiskey :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Flavoring