Hogger Sweet Corn Bourbon essence

All flavoring discussions go here.

Hogger Sweet Corn Bourbon essence

Postby Arismac » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Our Kiwi friends are flogging the horse. Ever since Hoggers Straight Bourbon became a hit and climbed the hit parade only the price has gone up faster. I don't understand why that was because Winx started winning the price went down. :))

Anyway, has anybody got some ideas of which flavouring essences are combined in Hoggers? I know there is vanilla, a taste of caramel, notes of honey, brown sugar, sweet corn and a hint of tobacco, not unlike Wild Turkey.

I have a reasonable range of essences. Can any one suggest a recipe to compete with the number one on the taste parade at the moment?
Last edited by Arismac on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Re: Hogger Sweet Corn Bourbon essence

Postby Yonder » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:24 pm

I'm sorry mate. Just don't see the point. If your going to all the trouble to run a really good product and the search around for some chemical concoctions to make it taste like a bourbon whisky... Why not just do it right in the first place? A simple recipe of corn, barley, and a bit o rye... You've got bourbon style. A bit of lactic acid to enhance the mix and you really have something. Age it on charred oak and it's fine as frogs hair. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby Rock » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Yonder wrote: A bit of lactic acid to enhance the mix and you really have something. Age it on charred oak and it's fine as frogs hair. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm curious about the lactic acid , I've got quite a bit of ujssm and think i ran it to slow on 4 plate 4 inch bubble plates.
I'm struggling to find alot of flavour, may also have been too tight on my heart cut .
It's easy as neat at 40 but need more flavor.
I'm also using American med char oak.
Guess I'll be searching lactic acid.
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Lactic normally comes as part of the sour mashing. Its on the grain we use letting it sit after fermentation can help promote it especially if the mash didnt not dry right out so the lactic has something to eat..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Rock » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:56 am

Thanks for that , this is exactly how my gen 6 ujssm finished.So i just left it another week. Have run it and it's still in the cut jars, haven't blended it yet.
I also done a search and now have a slightly better understanding.
Onwards un upward.
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Return to Flavoring