Vacuum Distilling

All flavoring discussions go here.

Vacuum Distilling

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:41 pm

G'day Guys,

Well as the subject goes what we are doing is a basic distillation in a sealed environment so the 40% rule is out the window :laughing-rolling: What I have done a while ago by using tinctures and making a spirit in my glass still I just threw the tinctures in the still and did at at full ABV strength. Eh I didn't die so as I have been asked and I do have to do something this year this is on as in a couple of weeks at work a major party is happening and I do need to make that different drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As I keep all my spirits at full strength it it does keep SWMBO at bay :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So what do I have here the goal is to make a Aussie version of Drambuie with the first batch with out the floral competent and the monks :laughing-rolling: just the spices along with my ouzo and chilli and the quince along with my AG.

I do have temp sensors here so all the temp data log will happen 8-} if I care to write it down :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Vacuum Distilling

Postby hjubm2 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:42 pm

What equipment are you using Bryan? I got quite a bit of Orange Blossom Honey from work that I want to ferment & distill without heating it up so the flavour doesn't get wrecked/changed but not sure where to start with vacuum distillation...
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:56 pm

With Honey we know to need what brix it is before we even start so give me that and maybe we can give it go
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:53 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Just went thru my Glass still thread https://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14123&start=20

Now no pic of the still setup shows the vacuum connection as I did get that connection in the pic custom made, after close to shooting that reflux column close to thru the roof I will be setting up the straight liebig and may setup an ice bath to help cool as heat is a problem.

Got my plum ferment close to done so a few runs pot still mode can be compared against a 4 plate run using my bubbler.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:05 pm

Ah thats the thread of yours I've been meaning to look up. Looks like exactly what I was aiming for with the vacuum still. What size of wash can you run with your setup? Ideally I want to do 5L batches via vacuum.

Plan is to try the honey a couple different ways, first as a mead style wash & the second as just the honey soaked in vodka for a couple days. Might even be able to finally bring up some honey for the girls this time :laughing-rolling:
hjubm2

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:31 pm

Mine is setup for 1 litre runs and yes I have seen 5 litre ones but the price scared me away :scared-eek: Also a 5 litre heating mantle is going to cost a bomb so maybe lower your expectations and just go for 2 litre setup and the mantle heater should just shy of $300 if your lucky but remember that word inflation where everything is so much smaller but costs 3 times more :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:52 pm

Just checked through my usual sellers & I can get a 5000ml heating mantle for about $200 so we might be on... really should finish some other projects before I start another though...
hjubm2

Postby howard » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:38 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:Mine is setup for 1 litre runs and yes I have seen 5 litre ones but the price scared me away :scared-eek: Also a 5 litre heating mantle is going to cost a bomb so maybe lower your expectations and just go for 2 litre setup and the mantle heater should just shy of $300 if your lucky but remember that word inflation where everything is so much smaller but costs 3 times more :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan

my 5l boiling flask is held by a lab stand ($40 vevor 600mm- ebay), over an old LPG camping stove ($0)
i suppose a mantle is better than naked flames.
i did think of buying the 5l mantle inner sleeve only ($80), and fitting it into an old rice cooker, but never got around to it.

i got the 5l round bottom boiling flask for about $85 years ago, but they are about $120 now.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Return to Flavoring