cheap 60L drum used for ACRYLAC®

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

cheap 60L drum used for ACRYLAC®

Postby graybags » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Hello Fellow Campers,

I found these 60L drums on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... TQ:AU:1123), got the material safety data sheet, they used to contain Acrylac - some sort of packaging varnish, has anybody heard of it and can it be cleaned out so I can re-use the drum for a wash drum? Bloke selling them reckons they are OK for home brew and pretty much everything else and they are cheap..., but if I had a shed full of them I would want to move them too....

From the MSDS:

Health and safety at work and environmental protection
According to EU Directives or the German law on hazardous substances (GefStoffV), dispersion
varnishes do not require special labelling. The dry varnish film contains no components that are
either toxic or detrimental to health.
Laws relating to food
Under German food regulations, dispersion varnishes are considered suitable for the manufacture
of foodstuff packages if properly processed and used. The varnishes must not come into direct
contact with the packaged foodstuffs.
graybags

equipment: bte still condensor, 25L pail with clip on lid and some 2L JB bottles from the pub...

Re: cheap 60L drum used for ACRYLAC®

Postby Kimbo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:10 pm

graybags wrote:Hello Fellow Campers,

I found these 60L drums on ebay
From the MSDS:

Under German food regulations, dispersion varnishes are considered suitable for the manufacture
of foodstuff packages if properly processed and used. The varnishes must not come into direct
contact with the packaged foodstuffs

I wouldn't risk it mate ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby graybags » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks Kimbo,

didn't think I should without some very positive feedback, was at the HBS today and bought another 25L pail instead.
graybags

equipment: bte still condensor, 25L pail with clip on lid and some 2L JB bottles from the pub...

Postby maheel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:04 pm

have you checked out the "bunnings fermeters"
they have 25L round ones and 30L "square" ones for under $20

i have a few of them and they are as good as any LHBS cheap ones (IMO)
maheel

Postby victorski » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 am

Eeeep, i've just purchased two of these fermenters prior to reading your post :angry-banghead: Anyway i've filled them up with boiling water and bleach and attempting to clean them (they have a bit of residue). I'll then rinse them thoroughly and fill them up with water and measure the pH levels after a couple days and see where I go from there! The stuff is apparently non toxic so hopefully won't have any dramas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Return to Accessories