Pointy Horse

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Pointy Horse

Postby the Doctor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:35 pm

I thought I would share a journey we have been on developing a new product called "Pointy Horse"...firstly this is our first foray into pre mixed cocktails, so the learning curve was considerable... when we set out the aim was to develop a new mixer for Rum, what emerged after a year was a fully formed cocktail with a totally new taste, and by all accounts many think it delicious.

As it stands the cocktail is comprised of ginger, galangal, turmeric, lemon, cranberry, Rum, Triple Sec,stevia and e.c.zero water carbonated. The greatest challenge beyond coming up with the flavour, has been to stabilise and clarify the product without and additions ( such as sodium benzoate)..we have a policy of not using preservatives, so the acidity of the final product is important to maintain shelf life. After months of trials we found that simple gravity settlement and racking was the most cost effective way to clarify.

Making cocktails is a good way to learn about spirits, what spirits work together and those that don't. Many of our products have grown from our Sunday evening cocktail sessions. For us it has become a ritual, and one I look forward to all week.

I urge you Rum distillers out there to experiment with ginger, it makes a great addition to rum cocktails and is better for you that coke.
Cheers
Doc

generic-POINTY-HORSE-POSTER-copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Re: Pointy Horse

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:38 pm

nice one Doc, really have to plan a trip back to Armidale soon. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Just discovery rum and ginger combo myself. I distilled some ginger beer a while back I also added some fresh ginger to it to boost the flavour. I mix a nip of that with two nips mcrum and a good dash of lime and lemon(I just use the stuff in the bottles from coles) in soda water it's a bit "girly" but boy it's nice refreshing and crisp
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby WTDist » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Nice job doc again. I have a few mates that like ginger ale or something along those lines with their brown spirits. been a while myself (few years) but i didnt mind it myself
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby rumsponge » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 am

very interesting Doc,
Can you tell us a little bit more ? Do you infuse the ginger before or after ageing of the rum (carter head) ? Or do you use ginger tinctures ?
cheers, RS
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:20 am

What type of ginger do you use young or old.
wynnum1

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:47 am

using young ginger simmered in water then vacuum infused with the galangal and Turmeric. The rum and triple sec are made separately. blended then filtered and carbonated.
Doc

web-copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the Doctor

Postby scythe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Sounds tasty.
When does it go on shelves?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby the Doctor » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:12 pm

scythe wrote:Sounds tasty.
When does it go on shelves?

first keg is being tapped this friday night. tinned and bottle sales by christmas all going well...but one step at a time.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby scythe » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:40 pm

Cool, will you sell online?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Recipe Development