Chocolate malted barley

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Chocolate malted barley

Postby Dancing4dan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:48 pm

A local malt house gave me a five pounds of chocolate malted barley. We mashed it with flaked corn, cracked corn, toasted oats and pale malt. Fermented at 85* F on grain. Strained out the grain and did a steam stripping run.

After the spirit run the chocolate flavor comes through. Still need to age / finish this but the white dog has really good flavours. Has made me curious to look into different malts. I have some pale malt left so I might do some experiments by roasting it to see how it impacts end flavour

Anyone else doing any roasted barley mash?
Dancing4dan

equipment: Pot still modular design that can use a beer keg or a 70 L SS pot. Steam distillation in development.

Re: Chocolate malted barley

Postby tubbsy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:45 pm

I have, but I think I may have overdone it with the roasted malt. I used some of my home malted barley which I roasted for about 2 hours at 200C. I can't remember the exact mashbill, but it was at least 25% roasted. If I was to do it again I would drop it back to less than 10%.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby hjubm2 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:57 pm

From my experience less is more with roasted malts. I don't usually go over 15% on the last ones I've done but even then it can need quite a bit of time aging to get the flavours to mellow/come together
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby Dancing4dan » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:06 am

Made cuts tonight. There is a little over a gallon on my Marsala infused oak spirals. 110 proof. It’s a little low for aging but the flavour was real good down to 90 proof so it went in until the proof was a little low. Time will tell how it turns out.

As it is it is good enough to drink but I want some oak and Marsala to come through. A piece of vanilla bean was in with the oak spirals as well.
Dancing4dan

equipment: Pot still modular design that can use a beer keg or a 70 L SS pot. Steam distillation in development.

Postby Dancing4dan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:09 am

24 hours later. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Looking and tasting good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dancing4dan

Postby Dancing4dan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:06 am

This is done. Took out the oak tonight. Now it can sit…. For a while.

Colour and flavour are great. I don’t have much vocabulary for whisky descriptions but there is oak, sherry / Marsala, chocolate, vanilla.

I’m happy enough with this that it will get repeated.
Dancing4dan

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:39 pm

Experiment is always a success if at the end of it you get to say , that’s nice and I am going to do it again :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Dancing4dan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:17 am

Wellsy wrote:Experiment is always a success if at the end of it you get to say , that’s nice and I am going to do it again :)

This recipe is definitely a keeper! Will be looking for more chocolate malt barley to make more! I took a lot of notes and will be able to repeat the process.
Dancing4dan

Return to Recipe Development