Feints Cleanup Run

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Feints Cleanup Run

Postby PeterC » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:43 pm

I had collected about 11 litres of feints from various runs including Angel yeast experiments, sugar washes etc. and was running out of demijohns to store it. I recently read about the addition of carbonate or caustic to the boiler in spirit runs to clean up the mixture with a hydrolysis reaction converting esters to acids and alcohols. So I added 1 gram of caustic soda per litre of liquid to the boiler and gave it a try. It seems to work very well. Running on 5 plates and a packed section I took 300ml foreshots, 1.2 litres heads and a nice 6 litres of hearts. I then got about a litre or more of tails but these were very rough compared to the normal. Might ditch the tails. This is much better than my previous attempts where the hearts collection has been much lower.
Cheers.
Peter C.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Re: Feints Cleanup Run

Postby RC Al » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:20 pm

I gave this a go recently with sodium carbonate, sure dose work.. totally killed any flavour in the heads n hearts, got a slight aftertaste, but it was only run through 3 plates and out at 90%
Dont do this to flavoured washes
Im kinda peeved, i like my feints runs... this lot has no character at all :doh:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Wellsy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:02 am

Thanks for the heads up RC.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby PeterC » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:27 pm

RC Al wrote:I gave this a go recently with sodium carbonate, sure dose work.. totally killed any flavour in the heads n hearts, got a slight aftertaste, but it was only run through 3 plates and out at 90%
Dont do this to flavoured washes
Im kinda peeved, i like my feints runs... this lot has no character at all :doh:

That's what I wanted, clean neutral for gin. Feints from sugar washes and a mixture of different grain runs are never going to be a good thing.
Last edited by PeterC on Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Return to Recipe Development