Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

Postby Bob9863 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:23 am

stillts wrote:ok smoked grains.. that sounds interesting. Do you smoke the grains yourself, or buy them that way.

Next batch I will try adding some LME too

I smoke them myself, I used to use a fish smoker but now I use a 20lt pot with a mashing false bottom. I just put what I want to smoke it with underneath it, put the grain on top and then sit it on a little camping stove on very very low heat.
But you can just put it in a regular smoker if you have one, the bigger debate is what you smoke it with as peat is had to find in Australia.
I've used potting mix peat and even rabbit droppings. But oak with a little apple or cherry wood seems to be the best.

RC Al wrote:
stillts wrote: Can you safely switch off the boiler in the middle of a run and resume it another day?

Yep, not a problem, let it settle at full reflux for 10 mins, slowly draw off 50-100ml as a "just in case" fores cut and then go back to what you were doing.

Happens more often than you would think, not every run goes smoothly, lols

I had to do that yesterday, I run outside and always use a single 2400w element, but very cold temperatures and a new 4" bubble plate worked against me yesterday, so today I had to put in a 3600w element and run it that way.
I still managed to get 12lt of of a 45lt run at 40% abv.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby stillts » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:30 pm

that's interesting Bob9863. I wonder if you could bake the cornflakes in the oven to get a similar result? Are you smoking cracked corn using this method or some other grain?
stillts

equipment: T500 copper reflux still, ez water filter.

FSD 2" Pot Still. 1000L IBL Water reticulation system.

Postby Bob9863 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:22 pm

I only smoke malted barley.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby The Stig » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:44 pm

Bob9863 wrote:I only smoke malted barley.

Is that what the kids are calling these days :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:04 pm

with or without filters ???? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Bob9863 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:50 pm

All that matters is I don't inhale. :shifty:
Bob9863

5lt copper pot still

Postby stillts » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:38 am

The Stig wrote:

Is that what the kids are calling these days :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

As Bob Marley (or was it Barley :think: ) said - Legalise it, don't you criticise it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stillts

Postby stillts » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 pm

Ok I got some cracked corn to try. Is there anything special I need to do to prepare it, and do I use the same measurements as with the corn flakes?
stillts

Postby RC Al » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:19 pm

That is a ujsm, 1 kg of grain initially per kg of sugar
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby stillts » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:43 pm

RC Al wrote:That is a ujsm, 1 kg of grain initially per kg of sugar

Thanks RC Al. Might have a look at that recipe and do a batch as a comparison.

I am finding that a lot of my batches taste similar, despite the changes to recipes and ingredients.

How often do you cycle the copper wire in the pot column? Anything else to check?
stillts

Postby stillts » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:52 pm

been finding that with the older generations of this brew, and the colder weather I have had to add a little bit of yeast to finish off processing the sugar. I have two batches going and both are sitting at about 1.010-1.020 after 3 weeks and still tastes sweet. I have been using a beer heating pad as it is getting very cold overnight.

Does the adding yeast in the later batches have any side affects as to taste? using loans baking yeast. usually add about a soup spoon feel to kick things off again.
stillts

Postby RC Al » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:50 pm

How many watts is the heating pad?
Is your drum insulated at all?
How big?

Without insulation your into a much larger power requirement.
The yeast do generate thier own heat, but i don't insulate and can expect a 6-8 week ferment during winter Sometimes i say buggerit and run at the 1.010, meh not many $$ at the end of the day vs the wait and angst.

Running a bit less sugar over winter wouldn't hurt.

A soup spoon is nothing, but if thats all it takes, you may have a different issue.

How's your PH? I run a sock of shell grit in a sugar wash and sometimes will adjust with garden lime.

I have a all copper pot still so don't use mesh
Last edited by RC Al on Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby stillts » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:52 pm

Cheers RC Al

RC Al wrote:How many watts is the heating pad? - not sure on this, but only get warm to touch so I would imagine much.
Is your drum insulated at all?
How big?
Without insulation your into a much larger power requirement.
- no drum not insulated - I do have off the floor on blocks of wood with the heater pad on top. I should source some blankets/towels. Barrels are 30L. Probably would help to get it right off the floor on a bench.

The yeast do generate thier own heat, but i don't insulate and can expect a 6-8 week ferment during winter Sometimes i say buggerit and run at the 1.010, meh not many $$ at the end of the day vs the wait and angst.
- Maybe I am not waiting long enough as it hasn't been that long. Barrels are getting down to 10-12 deg celsius.

Running a bit less sugar over winter wouldn't hurt.
- ok good to know

A soup spoon is nothing, but if thats all it takes, you may have a different issue.
- have been trying to re-use the yeast in the barrel from the previous batch. Been careful not to overheat the sediment and cook the yeast when doing the new batch.

How's your PH? I run a sock of shell grit in a sugar wash and sometimes will adjust with garden lime.
- I will measure. I have been adding a bit of citric acid/lemon juice

I have a all copper pot still so don't use mesh

- I will change my mesh over before the next run.
stillts

Postby deadliftsnstill » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:22 am

deadliftsnstill wrote:Gonna try a tweak of this, aiming for a rounded- out bourbony flavour:

700g box woolies brand CF (has a hint of malt extract I noticed)
500g box woolies brand High fibre bran (wheat and malt extract)
250g box ryvita original (pure rye flour version, not the multigrain ones)
6kg raw sugar inverted
35L total.

will do subsequent gens at half amounts of cereal.
Can't wait to try, love a good cereal wash!

I've had this under airlock for ages while i finished some other side projects, have also put down a wash but instead of Ryvita put half cup oats.
Will be doing stripping runs all weekend and hopefully get a spirit run next weekend to be able to report back if the oats, rye and wheat change much.

Not a big bourbon drinker (have always been a scotch/malt man) but I'm finding now I make my own gear my tastes are changing because things don't taste as heady as commercial bourbon/rum, etc do.

Funny how a 6 month old all bran whisky makes long-time expensive scotch drinkers say "Wow, that's smooth".
deadliftsnstill

equipment: 50L keg w/2200W element, Home made copper 2" to 1/2" Leibig

Postby deadliftsnstill » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:50 pm

Ok running this cornflakes, all bran and oats mix.
Middle of the strip run I could drink it from the spout. I don't drink bourbon but this is so good.
Can't wait to see what a spirit run and some oak will do.
I love this hobby.
deadliftsnstill

equipment: 50L keg w/2200W element, Home made copper 2" to 1/2" Leibig

Postby Wellsy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:44 am

Looks like we have got another one hooked :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Roddersvb » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:26 pm

I just ran a 2nd gen CFW, unfortunately (as I am prone to do) I dumped the trub because someone commented “CFW ingredients are so cheap I don’t see the point of doing repeated generations”
My thoughts are that the 2nd gen flavour is far superior to gen1,
I put that down to the backset and extra extraction of corn sugar, the only thing I found is that it took a month to reach attenuation, no explosive yeast activity. I even threw in some extra brewers yeast leftover from some cans I had.
Otherwise some bloody good white dog (Xmas) and long term whisky!
Roddersvb

equipment: T-500 boiler with both reflux and pot still condensers

Postby Chriss » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:12 pm

Time for a few firsts.

The first corn wash late October, which was the first rain water wash, which was the first wash in well over a year.

Particles! stupid town water is banned. All the previous beer and ginger beer and washes declined in flavour and potency.

Tank water is the go, lets go!
Yeah it made us giggle, whiskey (TPW base) and Sunshine Coast rainwater. We cracked open some Irish whiskey to compare smoothness. Wow some smooth irish whiskey!
But considering mine is only aged in oak for a month, rough as TPW, but pretty smooth with rain water.
To the point, yeah only make ice cubes with sub 10 PPM rain water for drinking this summer for the ultimate smoothness and flavour potency.

800gram of corn, boiled in rain water for 45 mins, simmered for a bit longer. Blended.
5kg of sunshine sugar
topped up with Sunshine Coast rain water.
80g of angel yeast
15gram of small bits of oyster shell.
pH 4.8
SG=1080, err 10%

Carbon dioxide scent the next day. Ah! Its been so long since I've seen and smelt an active wash.
Time to read this forum again, can't remember what CFW is all about :)

Ah and other first. By the time this batch has completed. Replacing the s/s bits. Going with all copper bits for inside the condenser.
Last edited by Chriss on Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chriss

equipment: T500 stainless steel condenser

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:33 pm

This thread is for cornflake , you've essentially made a UJSSM.
And , if you run this through a T500 your wasting time
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby GrantB » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:10 am

Hi Guys, I have my first gen CFW fermenting away and just want to check on the right steps how this generation thing works.

As I understand it once fermentation is finished I rack the wash into my still and do a stripping run and hang onto the low wines.

After I transfer the wash I add about 10 liters of water to the fermenter along the required amount of cornflakes, sugar and “cooled” backset. I was thinking of using the backset to dissolve the sugar??

Then top up with water

From this point fermentation should kick off again and if it doesn’t give it a “good sprinkle” of yeast.

Rinse and repeat for gens 3, 4 & 5.

Once I have the low wines from all of these fermentations I do my spirit run with all of the low wines combined.

Have I got this right or is there a gap in my learning?

Cheers
GrantB

equipment: Vevor 20L Pot Still (the one that looks like it’s got a football sitting on top)
EZ Filter. Added a 500mm column & reflux condenser.
5 Star 55 litre Milk Can 2 element boiler.
Brewzilla Gen 4 65 litre

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development