MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: MacWhisky

Postby Bushy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Latest results. I keep makin it, drinkin it, lovin it. Not much else to say. Devote a fermenter to it for a while and you won't be sorry. Dude
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby 1 2many » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Bushy wrote:Latest results. I keep makin it, drinkin it, lovin it. Not much else to say. Devote a fermenter to it for a while and you won't be sorry. Dude

Turns out amongst the rubble in the shed i found my 2cnd 60 ltr fermenter , Bit of dust here and there i wonder what the last ferment was :laughing-rolling:

It is in need of some good tlc. :music-rockon:
MacWhisky Fermentor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby 1 2many » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Where do you get Morgans Caramalt Amber lme in melbourne ? I am having a hell of a time trying to source that stuff. :angry-banghead:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 pm

The only place I know that stocks it over here (by demand) is Brewmart, have a google and get in touch with Neil, he's a good fella and may be able to help you out.... see how you go, nothing to lose by trying ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 1 2many » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Well i have to make a bastedized version of MacWhiskey I can only get the caramalt online and the shipping cost has killed it for me so will have to work around it somehow . So what i have got from the HBS is 2KG Pilsner Malt grain crushed and 2x 1.5 KG tins of Coopers Amber LME .

Did anyone measure there ABV% of this wash? And what was the foaming like , as in how much wash can you get in a 50 ltr keg without Puking.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Bushy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Minimal foam up mate.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

MacWhisky

Postby kingy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:13 pm

1 2many wrote:Well i have to make a bastedized version of MacWhiskey I can only get the caramalt online and the shipping cost has killed it for me so will have to work around it somehow . So what i have got from the HBS is 2KG Pilsner Malt grain crushed and 2x 1.5 KG tins of Coopers Amber LME .

Did anyone measure there ABV% of this wash? And what was the foaming like , as in how much wash can you get in a 50 ltr keg without Puking.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I was after 3kgs of liquid caramalt. But my local only sells grain. So got 3.5kgs of cara Ambermalt grain and mashed it.
Saying that your coopers amber will do the that your after.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby 1 2many » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks Kingy , i can get the caramalt in the grain also but what attracted me to this recipe was that it is simple to make without having to do a Mash. Who i the beer smith in the house? we need to emulate a caramalt Lme out of lme or and dme any ideas? :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

MacWhisky

Postby kingy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:03 pm

I'd love to help but I've only ever brewed beers with grains and spirits with sugar heads and grains.
Never user liquid or dried malt extracts.

Can't wait to get a bubbler and do grain single runs.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby JDB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Just finishing off my first MacWhisky and have a couple of questions for the you gents. Ran it through a detuned Boka, have done a lot of rums so have the operation sorted.
1. Yield seemed a little low, but the tails was very long compared to the rum runs, is this normal? Isn't surprising given the available sugars in this wash compared to a 3l molasses 3kg sugar wash. Output smells/tastes great into the tails though.
2. Have reused the lees in the barrel after I racked off. Seemed to be lots of flavor left in the grains so i added more sugar, dry malt that I had sitting around and more water, is bubbling away happily now. Anyone re-use the grain bed like this or am I just be a tight arse?
3. Put another wash down using Caramalt and dark malted grain, smells great, but what will it taste like?
4. I'm in on both the oak buys, thinking heavy charred American Oak, any other recommendations?

Thanks for any advise. Can't wait to try this stuff.
JDB

equipment: McStill 2" Bokka
Heaps of beer making stuff

Postby Pugdog1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:08 pm

ok be prepared for a potentially stupid question here, ive never made anything bar neutrals (im using a t500), could I run this recipe through my still on reflux?
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby Kimbo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Pugdog1 wrote:ok be prepared for a potentially stupid question here, ive never made anything bar neutrals (im using a t500), could I run this recipe through my still on reflux?

Only if it's the de tuneable type otherwise you will strip too much flavour :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Pugdog1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:27 pm

That is a shame. I will have to save up for one of macs beastly bubblers :-D
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby Kimbo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Pugdog1 wrote:That is a shame. I will have to save up for one of macs beastly bubblers :-D

Now there's a good idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby 1 2many » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:38 pm

My NQR MacWhisky is just about finished very excited about this wash ..Put down last sunday used one shot glass of lowans yeast and it went quite hard for two days then slowed to a good constant crackle that can be heard through the shrink wrap cover , then progressively slowed till now and grain husks are starting to settle. Couple a days :D :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:41 pm

You dont really need to let this clear if you dont want too, I like running my rum & whiskies a little dirty :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 1 2many » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:02 pm

The next time i make this wash i will be putting the grain in a bag when fermenting , I had a hell of a time trying to syphon off the wash (partly due to a crapy syphon that i rigged up) ended up disturbing the grain bed and getting grain into the syphon and into boiler the bloody hose got blocked so i gave it a good blow just to disturb everything again so instead of a nice clean wash it was a mess :angry-banghead: . So i will make up a steeping bag for the grains in future to avoid this drama easy fix.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Frothwizard » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:53 pm

1 2many wrote:The next time i make this wash i will be putting the grain in a bag when fermenting , I had a hell of a time trying to syphon off the wash (partly due to a crapy syphon that i rigged up) ended up disturbing the grain bed and getting grain into the syphon and into boiler the bloody hose got blocked so i gave it a good blow just to disturb everything again so instead of a nice clean wash it was a mess :angry-banghead: . So i will make up a steeping bag for the grains in future to avoid this drama easy fix.

Oh My God!!

How have I not thought of this....or read this....or imagined or dreamed it.

That would make things SOOOO much easier.

What would you suggest is used?
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby 1 2many » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Just google it Frothy there is plenty of info they are basically a big tea bag. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

SteepingGrains-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Frothwizard » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:41 pm

1 2many wrote:Just google it Frothy there is plenty of info they are basically a big tea bag. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

SteepingGrains-1.jpg

That's gonna stop me clogging up the Mrs food strainer. She's gonna be stoked.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development