Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum

Postby googe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:42 pm

My rum washes have never gone crazy, always very mild and kind of boring :)) still got tasty shit out of it though.
googe

Postby Divey » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:59 pm

I have a question. My fifth generation is fermenting now. What do you do after this? Do you keep using some of the dunder from the fifth after distilling and keep on going OR do you chuck the lot and start again. :?: :?:
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:06 pm

You can keep going as many gens as you like, just keep an eye on your ph & adjust accordingly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 8-ball » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 pm

my rum ferments are never like this (foam up) they just bubble away with little bubbles sounds kinda like soda water

i use varying between 5 and 15l of molasses
5-10l of dunder depending on ph
3-6kg raw sugar/ any sugar
epsom salts and/or dap if required

original yeast was danstil 493 edv, it died off wouldnt do anything then it was bakers yeast which did the same died off now its back to the danstil and its done the last 2 washes nicely

is it a problem or is it fine
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby kobold » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 pm

at fifth atm. planning five more, but switching to pure sucanat/panela and will recycle 20% or less dunder to get a lighter taste/nose
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby googe » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Was wondering, when i do my spirit rum runs i get this smokie sort of steam from the condensor, just a slow flow of it till the rum starts coming out. What is it?. If this doesnt suit this thread please move it.

Cheers
googe

Postby googe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Put 2 down today, one 4L mol, 2kg raw. Other 4.5L mol 1kg raw :shock: Had that much left in the mol tub after i did the first one and thought stuff it, got a kg raw here and chucked it in. See what happens.
googe

Postby googe » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:55 pm

As above, i did them washes, one is down to 1020 already, seems fast!. Does the more mollasses added make a quicker wash time?.
googe

Postby Kimbo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:16 pm

googe wrote:Was wondering, when i do my spirit rum runs i get this smokie sort of steam from the condensor, just a slow flow of it till the rum starts coming out. What is it?. If this doesnt suit this thread please move it.

Cheers

Its just the molasses burning a bit, no biggy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby kelbygreen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:03 pm

just put this down and I must say mollasses is not what I remembered or I got some sort of weird mix! it smelt like that seasol stuff and was really salty. I hope thats normal as got 20lts of it :shock: Only tasted it as a kid so cant remember what it was like. The guy said its preservative free apart from that didnt say it was mixed and I said I was using it for cooking when he asked :twisted:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby crow » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:08 pm

It sounds like its got some sulphur in it don't worry may slow it down a bit but it will still ferment ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Rum

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Why the sulphur in molasses crow?
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Its added as a preservative

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses

Sulfured molasses is made from young sugarcane. Sulfur dioxide, which acts as a preservative, is added during the sugar extraction process. Unsulphured molasses is made from mature sugarcane, which does not require such treatment. The three grades of molasses are: mild or barbados, also known as first molasses; dark, or second molasses; and blackstrap. These grades may be sulphured or unsulphured.

To make molasses, the cane of a sugar plant is harvested and stripped of its leaves. Its juice is extracted usually by crushing or mashing, but also by cutting. The juice is boiled to concentrate it, which promotes the crystallisation of the sugar. The result of this first boiling and of the sugar crystals is first molasses, which has the highest sugar content because comparatively little sugar has been extracted from the source. Second molasses is created from a second boiling and sugar extraction, and has a slight bitter tinge to its taste.

The third boiling of the sugar syrup yields blackstrap molasses, known for its robust flavour.[2] The term is an Americanism dating from around 1920.[citation needed] The majority of sucrose from the original juice has been crystallised and removed. The food energy content of blackstrap molasses is still mostly from the small remaining sugar content.[3] However, unlike refined sugars, it contains trace amounts of vitamins and significant amounts of several minerals. Blackstrap molasses is a source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron; one tablespoon provides up to 20% of the daily value of each of those nutrients.[4] Blackstrap has long been sold as a health supplement. It is also used in the manufacture of ethyl alcohol for industry and as an ingredient in cattle feed
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby brianp » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Brian is me name. I'm new here. You will be able to tell this by the question im about to ask. So be gentle on me.
Can you use reflux still to make rum this way or do I need to buy or make a reflux still? thanks Brian.
brianp

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still & Made it me self Pot Still

Postby crow » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:29 pm

brianp wrote:Hi Brian is me name. I'm new here. You will be able to tell this by the question im about to ask. So be gentle on me.Can you use reflux still to make rum this way or do I need to buy or make a reflux still? thanks Brian.

umm not sure what your getting at mate. You won't really get a decent rum from a reflux still or it will be very light in flavour, rum requires a still that will retain some of the wash flavour so you need to be looking at a pot or plated still
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby brianp » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks croweater. Looks like I might have to find time to try making my own pot still. Brian
brianp

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still & Made it me self Pot Still

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:43 pm

cant you run a reflux with no relux? depending on the still of coarse. but cant see why not unless its packed or something
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Rum

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:10 am

A reflux still should always be packed but if you can take it out it can be substituted for a pot still
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Fatherjack » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:33 am

sam_and_liv wrote:A reflux still should always be packed but if you can take it out it can be substituted for a pot still

:text-offtopic: If I took the packing out of my CM reflux to do stripping runs would I manage the cooling water outlet temp at the same temp as when I have the packing in?
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development